Filed under Opinions

Huskies be sensible

As someone whose entire writing career is at least partially hinged on the ability of some high schoolers to charm the owners of Lola’s Pizza Palace into buying an ad, I know the value of good advertising (not to say that I’m particularly good at it). Consequentially, I also know that bad advertising tends to nullify or produce the opposite effect intended. With this in mind, let’s look at Hersey’s latest ill-fated ad campaigns.

Firstly, there’s the good old “28 percent” ads. I call them this because I have no clue what the ad actually entails, but know that it indirectly informs the entire student body that more than a quarter of their peers have abused drugs or alcohol. Personally, I have no problem with this, but I’m pretty sure the intent of the ad wasn’t to say “check out how many of your friends are doing drugs!” I also know this is the first thing that comes to people’s minds because not only is it the first thing I thought of when seeing it, but also because one of the first Snapchat’s I got after the campaign was launched featured the phrase “Proud to be a 28 percenter.” Will it actually promote drug abuse? No, but I seriously doubt its message is getting across.

Moving on to more recent events is the good old “Huskies Be Nice” campaign, which is an ad whose intent I still don’t really understand. Is there a bullying problem at Hersey I’ve missed? That is not a rhetorical question, by the way: I have no clue what the ad is about, even though I was less than 20 feet from the announcers who launched the campaign at the winter awards ceremony.

Funny enough, my ignorance points out the ad’s essential problem – from a bystander’s perspective, the ad makes no sense. And given that the school decided to announce the campaign at an event that consists mostly of halfheartedly clapping about once every 15 seconds, I’m pretty sure I wasn’t the only one not paying attention.

Admittedly, the whole article has pretty much proven how hard it is to produce a successful campaign in school, but that just means that whomever decides to create these campaigns has to prepare for the fact that their ad is more likely to face abuse than appreciation. That said, I will at some point in the next few weeks have to try and convince Lola’s not to drop her ad from the paper. So, to any enterprising ad writers out there who’ll be mad at me for this, believe me: I feel you, bro.