Tommy Took: Pujols’ next hit will make him elite

Tommy Lumsden

The following is an op-ed. Views expressed in this article do not necessarily represent those of CorrespondentLive, The Correspondent or its staff as a whole.

“Tommy Took” is the last installment of sports editor Tommy Lumsden’s column, “Tommy’s Take.”

Albert Pujols, one of the greatest home run hitters of all time, with 619 home runs. He ranks seventh on that list, but Pujols is about to break another milestone, and that is 3,000 hits.

He will join some of the best all time hitters in baseball, not just home run hitters. He currently sits just one hit shy of 3,000, and could achieve that goal in the next day or two. There are only 31 member of this elite club, including Derek Jeter, Ichiro Suzuki, and Adrian Beltre. Pujols will be the 32 player of all time on this list.

Out of so many players who have come into the MLB, joining a group of just over 30 players is very big. It is almost a guarantee to be in the Hall of Fame, as almost all are in or pretty much locks to become an official member of Cooperstown.

Pujols, who spent so many years with the Cardinals, has always been a stand out player since day one and has always been a fun guy to watch. The 38 year old is on the back half of his career, and was just starting to fall off the grid, but breaking this record will officially make him one of the best hitter, or even top player of all time.

There is no way to know how many more years he has in the league, or if he can continue to climb the list to get closer to the top, but as long as he gets one more hit, he joins the best.