School plans to develop new classrooms for electives

The current AP Psychology room will be transformed this summer to become the new law room.

•Caroline Stiefbold

•Caroline Stiefbold

Kayleigh Padar

A new journalism room and a new law room are being developed for students to utilize next year. A new health pathway room is also being considered for the future.

“I am so excited for the new journalism room. I hope the new amenities it provides will help our paper continue to grow and provide us with new opportunities,” sophomore Claire Dwyer said.

After a survey that showed students were most interested in the law and health career pathways, the administration decided that new rooms should be developed to further students’ studies in those subjects. The journalism room will be updated in order to consolidate equipment so that each of the different programs can share resources.

“We’re trying to expand our opportunities for students. Students do not all fit in a box. Everyone is different. We are just trying to open up those opportunities for students to take advantage of now,” associate principal Joe Krajacic said.

The law room will be designed to look like an actual court room within a classroom and will be primarily used for American Law, Criminal and Civil Law, and Constitutional Law courses. The new room will also be where the Law Team practices. All of these students participate in mock trials, so it will be beneficial to have a model court room to use. “The new classroom will be an ideal setting for conducting these activities,” social sciences teacher Jodi Blazek said.

Due to this renovation, new curriculum will be incorporated into the law classes so that students can make use of the fake courtroom. “This new renovation is exciting because it will provide a realistic venue for our law students to practice and hone their legal skills. Conducting a mock trial or moot court in a courtroom is much more realistic than doing so in a normal classroom,” Blazek said.

The new journalism room’s purpose is to combine the many journalism programs into one room. “It’s to maximize our resources and opportunities in one area. It’s not to diffuse or make any of those programs mean less than others,” Krajacic said.

The new rooms are a part of a district iniative called, “Redefining Ready,” in which schools are making an effort to focus more on career pathways and development than test readiness. The new rooms will further develop the journalism and law pathways for students.

“We need to offer opportunities for people to further their education through college or trade. We need to help them find that path,” Krajacic said.

Blazek believes that this rennovation will enhance students’ career readiness. “This new law classroom will provide our law students with an even greater opportunity to experience what a career in law actually entails. It will lend authenticity to our Legal Career Pathway at JHHS,” Blazek said.

Kayleigh Padar, Editor-in-Chief, The Correspondent

Senior Kayleigh Padar is an editor-in-chief of The Correspondent and has served on staff since 2015.  She previously served as a news editor, editorial...