Journalists take home awards from San Francisco

Jennifer Lechowski

Six Correspondent editors, along with adviser Janet Levin, attended the JEA/NSPA Spring National High School Journalism Convention from April 12-14 in San Francisco. 

Among about 4000 other high school journalists, The Correspondent staff was able to listen to keynote speakers, attend sessions presented by advisers, students, and professional journalists, and present their own session title “Loving your online and print publications equally.”

While in San Francisco, they also competed in the JEA’s write-off competitions.  Senior Caroline Stiefbold won honorable mention in first year photo.  Sophomore Claire Dwyer won an honorable mention in commentary writing. 

Senior Jamie Anderluh received an excellent rating in Literary Magazine: Poetry. Anderluh previously got an honorable mention in the same category in 2015 and an excellent in 2017.

Two members of The Correspondent received the highest possibly rating: superior. Superiors are awarded to the top ten percent in the country in each category.

Senior Katherine Wiemold received a superior in portrait photography. She is only the third person to two superiors in two different categories in Correspondent history (She previously won a superior in Literary Magazine: Photography at the Dallas convention in 2017).

“It was something that I really wanted and I didn’t even realize it. So, when I won I burst into tears. Janet and I had made plans for this in November, so for it to come true during her last convention it was overwhelming,” Wiemold said.

Senior Kayleigh Padar also won a superior in editorial writing. 

“The feeling I got when I won indescribable. After I didn’t see my name on honorable mention I thought it was over for me. I’m not very good at timed writing but I practiced really hard and I’m proud that I won,” Padar said. 

Jennifer Lechowski, Editorial Board

Senior Jennifer Lechowski is an editorial board member and has served on staff since 2015.  She has received numerous awards in broadcast news from the...