Badminton moves into season

Sue Alseth

The following article was originally published by Sue Alseth on April 1, 1980 in Volume 12, Issue 12 of The Correspondent.  It is being republished as a part of the “Golden Years” segment, celebrating 50 volumes of The Correspondent.

Birdies are soaring, rackets are flying, and the girls badminton team is ready for a successful season.

The nets were put up on March 3 and 4 for try-outs, held after school. This year the Hersey girls badminton team consists of 22 players. Eleven players comprise the varsity team while nine girls make up the junior varsity, and two alternates finish off the squad.

“We lost many seniors last year, so we are going to have to start over. It’s a beginning team this year. It’s going to take a lot of hard work and time,” commented Donna Pfaender, Head Coach. Athletic ability, quick action, and potential were the skills looked for while choosing the team.

The 22 players striving for a winning season are: seniors Rose Marie Bouquet and Vicki Luempart; juniors Kim Greeves, Lisa Korbas and Cathy Titre; sophomores Marion Dubach, Georgette Poulos, Julie Haemker, Janie Halerook, Jane Hobbs, and Kathy Maczko; freshmen Sue Cohen, Colleen Enright, Patti McLaughlin, Ingrid Ruttendjie, Lynn Seidler, Mindi Selemon, Sherry VanHaften, Ann Williams, and Cathy Winkowski.