BG/H/W dominates Warriors to win state

Caroline Stiefbold

The Buffalo Grove/Hersey/Wheeling (BG/H/W) Stampede hockey team was crowned state champions when they defeated the Waubonsie Warriors 7-2 in the AHAI Combined State Championship on March 24 at the United Center.

“Hockey’s a really long season and for us to win the last game of the season like this in front of a whole bunch of fans, it’s really special,” coach Chris Waters said.

The team headed into the championship with a season record of 47-14-4.

“We were incredibly confident, we had worked for 10 months to prepare for this game, we were the better team, and it’s all any of us had on our mind this whole season, but you can’t help being a little nervous going into a game like this,” sophomore Zack Wachal said.

The Stampede took an early lead with a goal by BG senior Connor Kelly in the first period and kept a lead for the rest of the game. The Stampede defense kept the Warriors scoreless throughout the first period.

“Once we got that first goal, most of our worries went away. That was our worst period of hockey up against their best and we still were in the lead so we knew that if we put more pressure on them, we would have no problem and walk away with it,” Wachal said.

Junior Eric Kurpiewski started out the second period with an unassisted goal. Junior Brendan Buckley contributed three more goals for BG/H/W. The Warriors managed to score their first goal of the game, but the Stampede still lead 5-1 with one period remaining.

The Warriors scored early goal in the third period, but the Stampede kept their momentum going as Buckley and junior Paul Kruchten both scored, to bring the final score to 7-2.

Buckley was honored as the MVP after the game for his four goals, the most he has had in a single game this season. He also helped the team out with an assist.

“It felt great [to be named MVP]. I never would have imagined to score four tonight but it definitely feels good,” Buckley said.

After winning state in 2016 and then having a disappointing loss in the 2017 semifinals, the team was eager to make a name for themselves and win their second state championship in three years.

“We’ve been waiting for this for two years, and it feels amazing. Last year, when we lost in the semifinals, it hurt so bad, and it made us so much more hungry,” Buckley said.

Despite all of the Stampede’s accomplishments, Waters is most proud of his team’s camaraderie.

“This team, they love each other. They’re such good teammates with each other. To have them share this experience at the end of the season is really special,” Waters said.

(BG/H/W is not a District 214 sponsored team.)

Caroline Stiefbold, Editor-in-Chief, CorrespondentLive

Senior Caroline Stiefbold is an editor-in-chief of CorrespondentLive and has served on staff since 2015.  She has received numerous awards from the Illinois...