Showchoir hosts Chicagoland Showcase: Onstage, Ladies First celebrate competition’s 25 years

OnStage and Ladies First showchoirs hosted the 25 annual Chicagoland Showcase at the beginning of March.

“I mean I’ve been here for the past four showcases and I see how much work goes into it all I can’t imagine running it for 25 years it’s pretty crazy. But it’s always a great competition that everyone enjoys and ‘Momma’ [Joann Langley] works so hard every year so i’m not surprised it’s been going on for so long. I hope it continues because I’d love to come back and volunteer,” senior Mackenzie Greene said.

Show choir members are proud to be apart of this long-lasting showchoir tradition.

“It is amazing to know that I was part of the 25th Chicagoland Showcase. Show choir is such an enormous part of my life, and it’s crazy to think that show choir competitions like Showcase have been around that long. I also hope that there will be dozens of showcases in the future,” junior Annie Slania said.

The choir members pride themselves on creating a fun, inviting atmosphere throughout the showcase.

“What makes Chicagoland Showcase different from other events is the atmosphere. The atmosphere at showcase is very upbeat. It’s wonderful to see so many talented people who support one other. Overall showcase is an enjoyable event for the performers and the audience,” Slania said.

Members of the show choirs become hosts for groups competing at the event. Hosts pick up their assigned group at stations to drop off equipment and lead groups to homerooms. After going to warm ups and performing in the main gym groups are led back to their homerooms to change and enjoy the event. Many hosts find friends within their assigned groups that they continue to talk to after the event.

“Hosting is a lot of fun because you get to help other schools and meet a lot of people from the show choir community,” Slania said.

Because OnStage and Ladies First host the competition, they do not compete. However, they still get to perform in front of the crowd before preliminary and final awards.

“Performing at Hersey is also a really fun and relaxed atmosphere. Since we don’t have to compete, everyone is more relaxed and as a group we have a very enjoyable performance,” Slania said.

This year, OnStage performed their “Revolution” routine, and Ladies First performed their “Goddess” routine.  Although they compete with these routines often at various competitions, fellow students and family are not always able to watch and enjoy them because of the long distances.  Hosting Chicagoland Showcase, both groups are able to perform in front of more of their fans.

“I think the best part is getting to perform for everyone at the end. It’s by far our biggest audience of the year and it’s an easy way for our friends to come see because it’s so close. I also love getting to spend the whole day with everyone and getting to watch all of the amazing groups,” Greene said.

For the seniors, this showcase did not just mark 25 years, but also their fourth and final showcase.

“At first I was so sad that it was my last showcase but I quickly realized that instead of being sad about it I should make the most of it and that’s what I did! It was a great last one that I spent with my friends and I loved getting to perform one last time. It was all bitter sweet,” Greene said.