Newsweek rates Hersey in top 500

Kevin Loranger

The following article was originally published by Kevin Loranger on Sept. 26, 2009 in Volume 42, Issue 1 of The Correspondent.  It is being republished as a part of the “Golden Years” segment, celebrating 50 volumes of The Correspondent.

After 41 years, John Hersey High School has received many awards and accolades. This year, Newsweek’s rank of the best public schools in the nation can be added to that trophy case.

The respected magazine named Hersey 497 best public school in the country. With that ranking, Hersey is the number one school in District 214 and the 5th best public school in the state of Illinois.

The schools are ranked based on a ratio using numbers of graduating seniors and number of AP exams taken. “We have a very strong AP program here,” principal Dr. Tina Cantrell said.  “The culture of Hersey lately has been focused on strong academics while still providing many opportunities for a balanced experience.”

Out of 47 Illinois schools that made the list, D214 had four entries to the top 1500.  Among these four was a newcomer to the annual Newsweek list, Elk Grove High School. Elk Grove comes in at 1,122 while the other schools were Prospect (600), and Buffalo Grove (824).

“I have so much pride in our school and our staff,” Dr. Cantrell said.