Big Ten champs will make strong run in March

The following is an op-ed. Views expressed in this article do not necessarily represent those of CorrespondentLive, The Correspondent or its staff as a whole.

After an exciting week in Big Ten basketball, the Michigan Wolverines came out victorious in the Big Ten tournament. The Wolverines have now won back-to-back Big Ten Tournament championships, beating Wisconsin last year and Purdue this season.

The Wolverines join an elite group, being only the third Big Ten team to win championships in back-to-back seasons.

Michigan won the tournament as an eighth seed last season. They came into the tournament after their plane had skidded off the runway just the day before (luckily no one was hurt). They went on to win four straight games and the title in 2017. Well, besides the plane crash, not much changed for Michigan in 2018.

The Wolverines knocked off Iowa in their first round in overtime, dominated Nebraska and beat in-state rival Michigan State to advance to the championship game. They had to play Purdue, who had already beaten them twice this season.

Michigan ran the show and won the game 75-66. The Wolverines have looked good as of late and are now a projected three seed in the tournament. With so much talent in the Big Ten this season, it really took a lot to win the championship.

With a whole weeks rest, it could hurt Michigan a little, but this team has been hot since early February, and I believe they will do tune to march forward through March Madness and make another Sweet 16 appearance, and maybe even push the Elite 8.

As as much as I would love to say Michigan will be in the Final Four, they have had difficulty rebounding and making free throws all year which I worry could cost them down the stretch against bigger and better teams in the tournament.