Paralympics to take place in PyeongChang

Claire Dwyer

Although the world is captivated by sports during the Olympics, the games don’t end on Feb. 25. In fact, the Paralympic Games haven’t even started. On March 9, the 2018 Winter Paralympic Games begin in PyeongChang, South Korea. According to the official website of the Paralympic Games, 670 athletes will compete in six sports from alpine skiing to wheelchair curling, so there are plenty of sports for everyone to watch.

“I watched a little [of the Olympics], but I didn’t watch the whole thing,” freshman Lyla Heidorn said. “I think [the Paralympic Games] should be promoted more, because the main focus is in the Olympics, but it is incredible to see what these people can do.”

The Paralympic Games started in 1989 and “aims to develop sports opportunities for all people with an impairment from the beginner to elite level.” The Paralympic Games inspire people around the world and encourage people of all backgrounds to pursue their dreams.

“I feel like it gets everyone involved in the sport. It gives representation to those who may be limited in playing some sports,” junior Amanda Contreras said.

Among Team USA’s most promising athletes are Amy Purdy, who will compete in snowboarding this year after winning a bronze medal at the Paralympic Games in Sochi in 2014. In addition, Oksana Masters will compete in two events, the biathlon and cross-country skiing. So far, she has competed in three different sports in three separate Paralympic Games, and this year she is ready to win gold. Medal events for biathlon begin March 10, as does cross country skiing. Snowboarding’s first medal event begins March 11.

NBC is broadcasting the Games and coverage for specific events can be found on their website.