Feature Friday: Senior Rachel Fisher furthers acting ability with performance in ‘A Piece of My Heart’

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kayleigh Padar

Senior Rachel Fisher has been acting since she was a child, performed in a variety of plays, and most recently performed in the winter play, “A Piece of My Heart.”

“The best thing about acting is that you get to be somebody else for a little while. When you play characters you discover something new about yourself as a person. You become versatile,” Fisher said.

Fisher’s older sisters originally inspired her to start acting. “They [my sisters] were my idols so i wanted to follow in their footsteps. I also have quite a naturally theatric personality so it felt like second nature,” Fisher said.

“A Piece of My Heart” was a more difficult show than others Fisher had done in the past due to the fact the show was based on real people and events. “The thing that made ‘A Piece of My Heart’ different was that it was nonfiction. A lot of productions I’ve been in have been farces, improvisation, comedies, or pop musicals. This one was based on real people during a real time,” Fisher said.

Another aspect that made “A Piece of My Heart” more challenging than other productions Fisher had been in previously was the sensitive content and historical backdrop of the play. “We were putting ourselves in the shoes of people 60 years our senior, through a war we never lived through, with perspectives that are hardly imaginable,” Fisher said.

She and the cast were able to overcome this difficulty with the help of director Kyle Marquette. “He helped us immensely with portraying characters in a completely different time period,” Fisher said.

The show also involved a quick turn around when it came to memorizing lines for the performance because of the new school schedule. However Fisher worked hard on getting to know the script over break so that she would be prepared for the shows. “I memorized my lines while on vacation. I wrote down every single line in a notebook and just rehearsed a little bit each day,” Fisher said.

Although Fisher does not plan to pursue acting as a career, she hopes that it will remain a part of her life.

“I think the arts will always be a part of me, and there’s so many opportunities in the Chicagoland area for community theater and improv groups that I’m sure I can continue my passion while having a completely different career,” Fisher said.