Snow day provides time for relaxation

•Trent Sprague

•Trent Sprague

Lauren Theisen

While a phone call home from school usually ends in a long conversation with a student’s parents about the class their student is failing or near-failing, the call on Thursday was a little different. A little before six o’clock, all students received a phone call home from the district about the cancellation of school on Friday.

Due to the large amount of expected snowfall that was in the forecast for late Thursday night, Feb. 8 and early Friday morning, Feb. 9, the district decided it would be safest to have a ‘snow day’. As stated on the District 214 website, “For snow, ice, or other weather-related closings, the District will monitor current conditions, forecasted conditions between the travel times listed above, the ability of our staff to plow parking lots and sidewalks and the ability of local municipalities to plow and makes streets passable. The District also will be in contact with local and State officials and with meteorologists to make the most appropriate decision with the facts known at that time.”

“I used to sled all the time when I was younger, but now I rarely go. So when I do actually go during the winter, it’s always a really fun time,” senior Taylor Lafayette said.

If snow days weren’t already fun enough, it just so happened that this one occurred on a Friday; making it a three day weekend. With the large amount of snow that had fallen, students were able to take advantage of many winter activities before the season ends. Many students went sledding and enjoyed the excess amount of snow with the not-so-chilly temperatures.

“My favorite part of the snow day was when I went sledding with all of my friends. We went to a hill in Northbrook called Wood Oaks Green Park,” senior Maddie Schlapia said.

Snow days also provide an opportunity for both students and teachers to take a break from the educational grind that’s been keeping them inside during these past winter months. There is also not much additional homework that is assigned because of the short notice that teachers have once they hear that there won’t be school the next day.

“I love snow days because they are like little gifts of happiness that allow me to have the chance ro relax and avoid my homework,” Lafayette said.

So, because snow or other weather related days off don’t happen very often, students find snow days to be a nice surprise and good time  to take a day to enjoy the winter time.