Valentine’s Day dims the heart of those with high hopes

Janelle Ukleja

The following article was originally published by Janelle Ukleja on Feb. 9, 1996 in Volume 28, Issue 8 of The Correspondent.  It is being republished as a part of the “Golden Years” segment, celebrating 50 volumes of The Correspondent.

Valentines Day is a holiday commonly used to express love and affection to dear ones. However, many students would sooner cross this day off the calendar then buy flowers and chocolates.

“Valentines Day is supposed to be a day of love, but for most its just a day of sorrow,” said Junior Sung Kwon.

“Valentines Day is depressing for me, because my loved one is three and half hours away,” said Junior Lyn Comer.

Love is theme of this holiday and small gifts are traditionally exchanged between friends and lovers.

“On Valentines Day the only the gifts I get are from my Mom,” said Junior Kim Radzak

“If you don’t have a significant other, it isn’t worth getting out of bed on Valentines Day,” said Junior Kerry O’Mallory

“To me Valentine Day seems more like a holiday for older people who need a kick in their love life,” said junior Sue Szyska

Fortunately for loveless rejects Valentines Day only comes around once a year.

“Its fun if you’re attached to but if you’re single, it the most depressing day of the year,” said junior Brooke Batiste.

“Valentines Day is just another cheesy Hallmark holiday,” said Junior Julie Semerau

According to a recent survey 55 female students said the they would like to receive flowers Valentines Day. Twenty preferred stuffed animals, 16 hoped for jewelry, and seven would be okay with a box of chocolates. Fourteen others have their own ideas regarding Valentines Day festivities.

Of the 66 male students surveyed, 27 said they would get their girlfriend flowers, 19 said a card, six said perfume, one said stuffed animal, and 13 cheep skates did not plan on buy anything for their significant other.

On Valentines Day exceptions will be high, and 13 young ladies will probably be very disappointed.