Dancing fever, teen discotheques on the rise

Mary Hogan

The following article was originally published by Mary Hogan on Feb. 13, 1979 in Volume 11, Issue 8 of The Correspondent.  It is being republished as a part of the “Golden Years” segment, celebrating 50 volumes of The Correspondent.

Going to discotheques has become a major from of recreation for many teens in the Northwest Suburbs. Although discotheques have been around for several years, their popularity soared shorty after the box-office hit “Saturday Night Fever” was released. The fact that most discos have bar facilities has in previous years prevented teens 18 years of age and younger from being able to enter them.

Recently, many owners have began to realize the financial opportunities involved and have opened their doors to accommodate the many under the drinking age discoing fans. Since “teen night” are designed mainly for people between the ages of 12 through 18, there are no alcoholic beverages available.

2000+ 1, a very popular discotheque on Rand Road in Arlington Heights, seems to thrive on teen nights. Soon after the drinking age in Arlington Heights was raised to 21, 2000+1 doubled the number of teen nights. They now offer four teen nights inserted of two.

Some Other Place located on Golf Road in Glenview, is a newcomer to the teen disco scene. They now welcome teens every Sunday night from 5 to 10. The cost is $3 and always has a good crowd of people.

Hollywood Disco on Jenson Boulevard, in Hanover Park is a newly opened discotheque. Although it has only been open for two months Hollywood has already established four teen nights. Friday and Saturday nights it is open from 6 to 11:30 and Sundays from 5 to 10:30. The cost is $3 for all three nights. Wednesday nights the cost is only $1 and begins at 6 and runs until 10:30.

Fever a fairly new discotheque on Rand Road in Palatine, held teen nights when it first opened in the summer. But unfortunately discounted because of a certain ‘clique’ according to the manger. He also added that Fever would be having teen nights again but members of the certain clique would not be allowed to enter. Monday nights begin in February are scheduled to be teen nights. Its starts at 7 counting until 11. The cost is $2 per a person.

Teen nights have not proven successful for all discotheques. Marianis, Take One, in Arlington Heights and Disconnection in Paltine, have all held teen nights, but were forced to stop due to the lack of people attending.

Which says its teens that determine the success of a disco.