OnStage, Ladies’ First premiere ‘Revolution,’ ‘Goddess’ performances

Kayleigh Padar

•Trent Sprague

OnStage and Ladies’ First both performed for students in the theater last Wednesday, previewing their shows for competition season.

“I’m feeling super excited to show everyone what we’ve been working so hard on,” sophomore Arisa Kulkarni said.

The theme for OnStage’s show is Revolution. The show explores students’ journey to find something worth fighting for. The theme for Ladies’ First’s show is Goddess. The songs and choreography are inspired by Greek mythology, and the message is centered around empowerment.

“My favorite part of the [Ladies’ First] show this year is the closing number because it is so fun to dance and the energy is up because we want to make sure that we leave a good last-impression on the judges,” sophomore Hannah Van Meveren said.

Both shows involve multiple elements that expand upon the singing and dancing. In the OnStage show, senior Kayla Chung performs a violin solo. In the Ladies’ First show, seniors Mackenize Greene, junior Laura Kate Waters, and Kulkarni perform a lyrical dance during the ballad.

“My favorite part of the show this year is that we have a ton of featured soloists and it’s not just singing it’s also dancing so it’s really cool that we were able to incorporate all of it together,” senior Clare Oneil said.

At last nights preview performance, many of the members most enjoyed seeing family and friends’ reactions to the show. “I was most excited to see how people react to our show,” Van Meveren said.

This preview performance marks the beginning of the show choir competition season. Members will travel and compete at different locations for the next few months. “I’m feeling really good about the upcoming season and I’m really happy that all the girls are excited and ready to go because they’re like a second family to me and I wouldn’t want to spend this competition season with anyone else,” Oneil said.

During competition season, show choir members appreciate the community surrounding them the most. “The best part of competition season is getting closer to all the other girls in the group and performing with each other on stage,” Van Meveren said.

In between performances, members are able to bond with each other and enjoy the feeling of being on a team. “The best part of competition season is just seeing everyone get so close to each other and seeing everyone just love and support every group,” Oneil said. “I love having the second family that show choir is. Getting closer to everyone on the bus rides, in the home rooms, and of course during the performance is my absolute favorite.”

“Everyone is so encouraging towards each other and it’s a great time to grow closer with the team,” Kulkarni said.

Their first competition will be this weekend in Crete, Illinois.

“I’m feeling pretty good about the upcoming season because we have been working on the show for many months,” Van Meveren said.