Seniors explore advanced cooking in ProStart class

Kayleigh Padar

Two seniors, Abby Maslanka and Trish Miller, are currently participating in a ProStart cooking course at Buffalo Grove High School. This is an advanced foods course for students who have already taken Foods 2 and 3 here.

“When I got some information about the class it seemed like it would be a fun class with great opportunities for me and it has been,” Maslanka said. “Even if you aren’t looking to be a chef when you are older this is a really great class to take if you really like to cook or just want to learn more after you take Foods 2 or 3.”

Both students have completed the Foods 1 and 2 courses here and plan to purse careers in the culinary arts in the future. “I do plan on working in the food industry and yes I do believe Prostart helps in preparing you for the lifestyle. It’s very fast paced and if we don’t have something we need or something is not done right then we improvise and help each other,” Miller said.

During the class, the students participate in creating luncheons for teachers. Teachers are able to choose from a menu what they want to eat and the students prepare it and deliver it to their departments with homemade cookies.

“They get to have one of the best lunches they will have all school year,” Maslanka said.

Along with these experiences, students also take notes and visit restaurants and catering services. By the end of the year, students will earn a sanitation license

They both describe the class as being very fast paced and hands on. “It is a lot of work, I will admit that, but it sets you up for success,” Miller said.

Maslanka especially enjoys spending time with the other students in the class. “The class is definitely like a family. We are all spending a whole year together and have to be able to work good with every person in the class,” Maslanka said.

Both students recommend the class to those interested in Foods regardless of their future career plans. “Even if you aren’t looking to be a chef when you are older this is a really great class to take if you really like to cook or just want to learn more after you take Foods 2 or 3,” Maslanka said.

Kayleigh Padar, Editor-in-Chief, The Correspondent

Senior Kayleigh Padar is an editor-in-chief of The Correspondent and has served on staff since 2015.  She previously served as a news editor, editorial...