Students, teachers explore decades of candy

Grace Garlick

Through out history many things have changed, whether it be for the sweeter or the more bitter tasting, candy is no exception to this and has modified through the eras with a refined sweetness, sourness, and stimulating flavors.

1960s– Candy of this era included: Necco Wafers, Big Hunk candy bar, and Twizzlers. ”My favorite childhood candy were the Mounds bars, they used to advertise it that Almond Joy had nuts and mounds don’t,” social science teacher Sean Gudaitis said. “ My dad would give me money and there was a candy store right across the street from my school, I would buy Topps baseball cards with gun in them and it was about 10¢-15¢ a pack.”

1970s– The 70s commenced more colorful packaging and sweeter tasting candy; favored candies of this period included: Candy cigarettes, Gobstoppers, and Zots. “I liked butterscotch because my grandparents gave them to me as a kid and I associate them with going to my grandparents house in Appleton, Wisconsin,” English teacher Kent Manthey said. “I did like my Brach’s caramels, I used to argue with my friends on the pronunciation of caramel.”

1980s– Like everything in the 80s, candy of this generation was vibrant in color and introduced sour tasting candy. Airheads, Smarties, and Razzles were popular treats during this time. “Pop rocks were definitely an 80s thing, there was this urban legend that if you had pop rocks and drank a coke you would explode,” English teacher Melissa Drapatsky said.

1990s– The 90s was an age of new technology and iconic sit coms, and candy developed from the colors and flavors of the 80s. Bubble gum, Cow tails, and The Baby Bottle pop were well known treats in this era. “Pop rocks were fun when I was a kid and skittles were a classic for me because of the bright and fun colors,” English teacher Marli Levin said. “I liked trick or treating as a kid and I was excited to see those candy in my pillow case.”

2000s- A more familiar span of time of childhood for high schoolers, candy of this previous age contained: Giant Crabby Patty Gummies and Butterfingers. Candy during this time was scrumptious in sugar, sourness, and chewiness. “I’ve always loved gummy worms and M&Ms, those are my two favorites, because I felt like I was eating worms without it being gross and I love chocolate,” junior Maddie Fasolo said.

2010s– The current generation of candy usaully includes chocolate flavors mixed with something like nuts or wafers. Gummies and citrusy hard candies are also popular, but taffies and some sour candies tend to be associated with past decades. “I like Reese’s pieces and Hershey bars, it’s some good chocolate, I always made my mom buy the cookies and cream Hershey bars for me,” junior Tim Huff said. “I think candy now is way better because it has more sugar.”

The changing of flavors candy is a result of how candy is made now compared to past years. “I don’t trust today’s candies because of all the dyes and the corn syrups, I prefer the old-school candies,” Manthey said. “Some candy now tastes like plastic, I remember red vines and those are so good because it’s not processed,” Fasolo said. The amount of candy kids have has been a worry because of the current way food is made and what it does or may contain. “When I was growing up we were allowed to eat a lot more candy, we had candy at every holiday party at school, now my kids aren’t allowed to have any food in class because of all these allergies and it’s not good for you,” Drapatsky said. “It’s very sad but maybe it’s good for them because they don’t associate food with everything.” No matter it’s reputation, candy is a part of a nostalgia we all have and it, quite literally, keeps getting sweeter.