Correspondent wins in Dallas

Caroline Stiefbold

Member of The Correspondent traveled to the JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention in Dallas in November along with about 5000 other high school journalists.  The staff was able to listen to various speakers and attend different sessions.  The Correspondent also presented a session about their hybrid publication.

In addition to this, students also competed in write-off competitions.  Senior Jennifer Lechowski received an honorable mention rating for Newspaper: Layout.  Senior Jamie Anderluh receieved an excellent rating in Literary Magazine: Poetry.  Anderluh previously got an honorable mention in the same category in 2015.  Senior Joshua Irvine also won an excellent rating in Editorial Cartooning.  We won this same award in 2015.

Two members of The Correspondent also won superior ratings in their categories.  Superiors are the highest award given out to students in the top 10 percent in the nation.

Senior Katherine Wiemold received a superior in Literary Magazine: Photography.  Last year, she earned an honorable mention in this category.

“It was just really rewarding and amazing to be recognized.  Especially walking back after getting my medal and seeing the staff with the biggest smiles on their faces clapping and just telling me how proud they were, it made me cry,” Wiemold said.

Senior Trent Sprague earned a superior for First Year Photo at his first convention.

“It felt pretty awesome to earn the superior, the feeling of your name being called in front of 4000 other journalists and knowing that you earned an award on a national level is a huge honor and stress reliever,” Sprague said.  “Because a day earlier you are sitting in a room watching professional photographers and teachers critique your photo in front of 400 plus fellow student photographers who produce some amazing work.