Dickens carolers spread holiday cheer

Kayleigh Padar

The Dickens Carolers are a small group of selected students from Choir who perform acappella holiday songs throughout the community while dressed up in old fashioned caroling costumes.

“What I enjoy most about this group, is that it makes people super happy too see us in our costumes singing their favorite Christmas songs. I love seeing people happy for Christmas,” junior Jennifer Joby said.

The group travels throughout the community, performing at different events, like the Arlington Heights Tree Lighting. They also perform at the library and The Lutheran Home, as well as other places.

“We perform for people who both want to get into the spirit of the holidays and also those who need the warmth and happiness that the acappella holiday songs provide,” senior Caitlyn Sheridan said.

This group is different from a regular choir because all the songs are acapella. “Also all the carols we do are acapella which is a fun extra challenge musically,” Joby said.

The Dickens Carolers have been a tradition at our school for many years. “I had always seen them caroling the fun songs in their fun little costumes and it just looked like so much fun. Caroling and seeing us in our costumes makes people happy and I wanted to be a part of that,” Joby said.

Some students decided to audition for the group due to their own holiday spirit. “I decided to join this group because along with singing being one of my favorite things to do I also love Christmas. I also love seeing people smile and be happy due to the performance we put on,” Sheridan said.

They sing a variety of songs at their performances, so everyone enjoys singing something different. “My favorite song to perform is either ‘Fum Fum Fum’ or “Psailite”. I love ‘Fum Fum Fum’ because it has a very fun beat and we always add slight choreography with it,” Sheridan said. “But I also love the song ‘Psailite’ because the harmonies are very pretty and give each voice section a chance to shine on their own.”

Some students enjoy the more classic favorites. “My favorite song to perform is ‘Jingle Bells’ because the version that we do is really fun and peppy, and it’s a classic so I know it really well. I love seeing people eyes light up when we start to sing it,” Joby said.

The singers mostly enjoy making others happy as a result of their performances. “I’d have to say what I enjoy most is making people smile with our music and songs. And, also I love the costumes,” Sheridan said.