Senior declines homecoming court nomination

Friends of senior Will Davidson printed out this sign and hung it up in classrooms.

Joshua Irvine

When the senior homecoming court was announced Tuesday afternoon, the average student likely didn’t think much about it, aside perhaps to make a mental reminder of their preferred candidates.

But for the few in the know, the announcement marked the finale of an idealistic campaign gone wrong. The subject of that campaign was senior Will Davidson.

Several weeks ago, a group of Davidson’s friends, all seniors, had made it their mission to get Davidson onto the homecoming court.

“I actually didn’t think it was gonna happen. I was like ‘whatever guys,'” Davidson said.

But it did. His friends pushed the cause on social media and in school.

Davidson didn’t quite realize his friends were serious; he describes his first knowledge of the campaign being when he heard students shouting “Will Davidson for Homecoming King!” to him in the hallways.

“I was like, ‘oh my god, you guys are actually doing this,’ ” Davidson said.

The campaign, if unusual, garnered no response from teachers or the administration. That changed, however, with one mistake.

One of Davidson’s friends had created a poster for the campaign, featuring a photo taken of Davidson in his AP European History class. In it, Davidson made a gesture he attributes to the Korean rapper, Keith Ape, with his index, middle and pinkie fingers extended and his ring finger held back by his thumb (Keith Ape appears using the gesture in numerous promotional images).

His friends thought it was a “W” for Will.

Unbeknownst to Davidson, or some of the members of the campaign, a small group had printed out the posters and posted them around the school, including the phrase “Approved by Will Davidson” (he had not).

And then Davidson found out that his hand symbol, displayed throughout Hersey, resembled an obscene gesture. He was called down to Dean Jenna Korakakis’ office that day.

Davidson says the dean wanted to know why there were posters of Davidson and his gesture scattered throughout the school; posting of signs or announcements in the school halls requires approval by the administration, though Will’s friends say they had gotten approval from individual teachers to put the signs in their classrooms (Dean Korakakis refused to acknowledge any conversation, citing student privacy, though she confirmed the posters were a source of concern).

The incident was, in and of itself, relatively minor; the posters were taken down, and neither Davidson or any other student were punished.

But the campaign for Davidson, short-lived posters and all, turned out to be effective; on Tuesday, Davidson was  approached by associate principal Dr. John Novak, where he was told he had been nominated to the Homecoming Court. He says he was told he’d received 53 votes, 36 more than the next highest nominee (Dr. Novak declined to discuss the nomination numbers, though he did confirm that Davidson had been nominated).

Davidson ultimately declined the nomination, citing numerous reasons, including a hesitance to actually take part in the various homecoming events.

Davison’s friends first planned to go forward with the printing of t-shirts featuring Davidson in the style of President Obama’s “Change” poster; they chose not to after allegedly being told by a teacher that the school would suspend anyone who wore the shirt to school.

Dean Matt Norris denied any such decision; Dr. Novak, who was mentioned as responsible by some of Davidson’s friends, pointed out that he didn’t even have the authority to make such a ruling. The teacher that the students allegedly got their information from stated they were not authorized to speak on the matter.

Though it’s unlikely that Davidson would have even accepted the nomination to the court, the entire episode ended on a much more sour note than Davidson or his friends might have imagined.

“It kinda turned into a mess at the end,” one of Davidson’s friends said.

But, as that same friend did note, “There’s always prom.”