District hosts first of three Career Nights

Kerry Lester, columnist and senior writer for the Daily Herald, talks with students about her career in journalism.

•Kayleigh Padar

•Kayleigh Padar

Caroline Stiefbold

Students from across District 214 gathered at Prospect on Sept. 6 for the first Career Night of the school year. This night focused on arts, communication, and human services.

The arts and communications portion focused on career pathways in the visual and performing arts, specifically in journalism, writing, multimedia production, theater and music, entertainment services, graphic design, and interior design.

The night’s other section, human services, had an emphasis on career pathways related to families and people in need.

“I went to Career Night because I decided to work there for National Honor Society points, but I still got to here from the speakers,” senior Catherine Spann said.

Once students arrived and completed registration, they were able to listen to speakers discuss their careers.

Arts and communication speakers included a marketing/advertising professional, author, journalist, broadcast/entertainment professional in music/theater, graphic artist, and interior designer.

Speakers from the human services sector varied amongst lawyers, teachers, social workers, psychologists, police officers, firefighters, and chefs.

“I listened to the police officer speak. While I don’t plan on going into that career choice, I learned a lot of information about the requirements it takes to become an officer,” Spann said.

Being able to learn first-hand from professionals in different career pathways, as well as have an opportunity to ask questions, was beneficial for students.

“The night impacted my future because it made me realize that while you can read and learn about a career online, you gain more knowledge when you meet someone in that profession,” Spann said.

Overall, students enjoyed the district-wide event.

“My experience was great. I met people from Elk Grove, Buffalo Grove, and all over District 214,” Spann.

District 214’s second Career Night, focusing on jobs in health and natural resources, will be held at Buffalo Grove on Oct. 4. The Career Nights will conclude on Oct. 18 with the engineering, industrial technology, business, and computers night at Rolling Meadows.