Feature Friday: Junior Rachel Silva takes on tennis

Junior Rachel Silva (left) celebrates a tournament victory with her doubles partner senior Katherine Nowak.

•courtesy of Rachel Silva

•courtesy of Rachel Silva

Marie Bechtoldt and Caroline Stiefbold

Junior Rachel Silva just began her third tennis season this fall.  She is currently playing doubles on the varsity team with senior Katherine Nowak.

“I decided to try out for tennis my freshman year because I wanted to be involved in athletes, and I’ve been doing it ever since. It was an awesome way to make friends. I had never played tennis before, but I’m so glad I went for it,” Silva said.

Being farely new to the sport, Silva has progressed quickly.

“I enjoy seeing my own improvements, as well as my teammates’, on the court as the season progresses,” Silva said.

The highlight of Silva’s season so far was their tournament over Labor Day weekend, specifically the match against Buffalo Grove.

“It was one of our toughest matches this season yet,” Silva said.

Despite losing the first set, Silva and Nowak came back and won the second set, forcing a super tiebreaker, which they won 10-3.

“It felt amazing to see the hard work and persistence pay off. We were all jumping up and down,” Silva said.