Swimming races past Maine South

Freshman Anna Kreie swims the 500m freestyle against Maine South on Sept. 5.  The Huskies defeated the Hawks and will face Schaumburg tomorrow.

Freshman Anna Kreie swims the 500m freestyle against Maine South on Sept. 5. The Huskies defeated the Hawks and will face Schaumburg tomorrow.

•Trent Sprague

•Trent Sprague

Katie Lindgren

The Huskies were victorious against Maine South in a 106-79 win last night. Coach Dick Mortensen was excited for the meet because the Hawks were going to be tough competition, but also slightly nervous because the team was down junior Julia Gerstung and freshman Ella Salm. The girls took this as more motivation to win the meet.

“I was stressed with having to fill their spots last minute, but our team is deep enough to fill their spots and still come out on top,” Mortensen said.

Although the girls lost some events to Maine South’s Annika Wagner and team, the Huskies took the meet into their hands. They took the meet out on top from the beginning, winning the 200 medley relay consisting of freshman Shannon Blumenfield, senior Olivia Kusio, and sophomores Bianca Teves and Claire Fink.

In diving, senior Madeline Bovino took first with a score of 200.65 which gave the Huskies a push going into the second half of the meet. In the second half,  some other wins key wins came from Fink in the 100m free, Blumenfield in the 500m free, and Kusio in the 100m breast.

An important win for the Huskies to top off the meet was in the 400 free relay. The relay team was trailing the Hawks until sophomore Maddie Irvine caught the Hawks as the third swimmer and Kusio took the Huskies into the lead anchoring the relay.

“I knew that once I saw Maddie [Irvine] catch Maine South I needed to finish for my team, so I dove in and swam as fast as I could. I couldn’t feel my wrists after the race, but it was totally worth it,” Kusio said.

After a loss last week to Warren, the Huskies were looking for their first win of the season and they got it.

“Maine South always produces good swimmers but so do we. I knew our girls have worked hard and were full capable to win this meet,” Mortensen said.

The team has another meet tomorrow against the Schaumburg Saxons at the Prospect Natatorium starting at 4:30.