Students aid teachers

Seniors Emma Karman and Kortney Jansen serve as teacher aides for social science teacher Mark Gunther during fourth period.

•Jennifer Lechowski

•Jennifer Lechowski

Jennifer Lechowski

Social science practicum, also known as teacher aide (TA), is one of many electives for students to take. Mostly taken by seniors, this class offers students insight to what being a teacher is like.

Students take this course for multiple reasons.

“I wanted to be a TA this year because I was one last year, and it was a lot of fun to work with teachers and see how they do their job,” senior Jenna Simpson said.

While other students take it to fill their schedule.

“I have a bit of a complicated schedule this year that resulted in an open eighth and wanted to fill that period, so I asked Mrs. [Missy] Mabry if she needed a TA,” senior Emmy Pascual said.

Side by side, these students are able to learn and help the teacher in any way they need.

“I usually grade labs and homework assignments. Sometimes Mrs. [Joanell] Hoijer has me make signs for activities coming up for NHS or band,” Simpson said.

Students who take this class can TA for any teacher they would like, as long as they get the teacher’s permission.

“I’m a TA for Mrs. Mabry this year for her AP Human Geo class. I thought the class was really interesting and I got to know Mrs. Mabry well, so I was happy to come back as a TA,” Pascual said.

This class teaches students certain aspects of what a teacher is all about.

“So far I’ve learned that grading can be very time consuming because the teacher is trying to get the students to write a specific way so they can succeed. So, you have to be very meticulous to make sure they understand what they’re expected to do,” Simpson said.

Being a TA has been a positive experience for many students.

“I don’t regret a single thing about being a TA. It’s honestly the best decision I’ve made. Not only do I get to be immersed in teaching culture and all that they do, but I also get to see students grow,” Simpson said.

“There’s a connection made between students and teachers and being able to be a part of seeing students succeed and do well on assignments they worked hard on is really exciting to see,” Simpson said.

Overall, current students would recommend this class for students who are thinking of taking this class in the future.

“I would suggest being a TA to students who have an open period and do not want to take a study hall or other classes. If you have a positive relationship with the teacher after passing their class, ask them if they need a TA,” Pascual said.