St. James teens serve in Caribbean

Junior Vince Carso plays with a local boy while on a mission trip to the U.S. Virgin Islands.

•courtesy of Heidi Freitag

•courtesy of Heidi Freitag

Heidi Freitag

Giving back to the community serves as a beneficial experience, not only to the community, but to the people who are serving their community. Whether it’s giving back to the local community or going across the country, students are finding ways to give back.

St. James, a parish located on Arlington Heights Road, reached out to their youth groups and parents and organized a mission trip to St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands. With a lot of planning and several phone calls, Sister Faustina Ferko, a former nun at St. James Parish, decided to get a group together to go and serve in St. Thomas.

The mission trip consisted of helping communities in St. Thomas. Students got together with parishes all across the country and worked together to help paint schools, to fix up soup kitchens and shrines, and to interact with the islanders. Working all day together helped students create bonds. The bonds developed by students created a positive work environment throughout the trip.

“I grew strong relationships with people I haven’t known before. Going into the mission trip, I had only one close friend, and, towards the end of the trip, it felt like I had known everyone for years. We are all one big family, even though we all were different ages and some of us went to different schools,” junior Kelly Tangney said.

Making new friends and working together was a major success point for these traveling students, but their faith also grew stronger as this trip made sure to incorporate time for praise.

“The mission trip was a good chance to meet others who share faith with me and strengthen my own faith by meeting new people and learning about their experiences in faith,” junior Charlie Fredian said.

Although students worked all day on different projects, they also to come together at the end of the day to share their experiences and include how God has helped them in certain ways.

The students who participated in this journey also sacrificed some of their own comforts. Students slept on the floors of a school with no air conditioning and had to use portable showers. With these conditions, some students reflected on how they take the privileges they have at home for granted and how many people across the world aren’t as lucky.

“I learned how much I took for granted like showers and working bathrooms,” junior Becca Burke said.

At the end of it all, students learned how beneficial it is to serve and grow stronger in faith. Whether it was students first mission trip ever or their fourth mission trip, it definitely was a memorable and educational experience.

“I really enjoyed my first mission trip through St. James. It was such a life changing experience and I met so many amazing people, both in and out of my parish. The mission trip really taught me the importance of showing others who God is through my actions,” junior Anna Linscott said.

Students expressed their thanks for the opportunity to go and serve.

“I’m so thankful for this trip as it changed me as a person, and it allowed me to grow deeper in my Catholic faith,” Linscott said.

This trip not only developed new friendships, but helped students have a stronger connection with God. Without the help of the St. James Parish this trip would not have been possible. Students continue to express their gratitude as this mission trip has developed new thoughts and experiences.