ESPN gets political

Tommy Lumsden

The following is an op-ed. Views expressed in this article do not necessarily represent those of CorrespondentLive, The Correspondent or its staff as a whole.

I don’t know if it is just me, but I like watching sports. It takes me out of this insane, crazy, political montage world we live in. It gives me a couple of hours a week to enjoy some good entertainment, and that’s the most important part.

Unfortunately, that has now changed, thanks to the biggest sports news company in the world, ESPN. Recently, ESPN pulled Robert Lee, not the Confederate general during the Civil War, but instead an ESPN announcer who shares the name of Robert E. Lee.

Lee was scheduled to announce a Williams and Mary at the University of Virginia football game.

Robert Lee, the announcer, is Asian by the way, so in no way shape or form is he related to or named after the general. The reason ESPN said they decided to have Lee pulled from the game because of the events that were happening in Charlottesville, saying they replaced him “simply because of the coincidence of his name.”

Yes, ESPN said that. They were worried that the name being so close to a figure who was so closely related to the bad people of the time would be offensive to some viewers. How that would be offensive, I’m not quite sure yet, but they found a way.

Just so no one would be offended by the similar names, ESPN made the call to switch Robert Lee to the Youngstown State at Pittsburgh game.

I know now for a fact I would not find it offensive that a man with a close name comparison to a Confederate general call a football game. Honestly, I don’t even think I’d notice. And I really think ESPN is stupid for thinking anyone would think diddly of it.

I really feel bad for Robert Lee in this situation. Is he never going to be able to announce a big game because he, an Asian man, is to closely associated to Robert E. Lee. It’s pathetic that it even had to get to this stage, and its sad that it even happened. It’s cruel that ESPN would even consider it.

Clay Travis, a FOX News journalist was the first to cover the story. Travis, in his article about the event, went on to call ESPN “MSESPN” mocking MSNBC. Travis was saying that the sports news organization has turned to a left leaning news organization. And he may not be wrong.

Recently, I read an article published by ESPN about Colin Kaepernick. In this article, ESPN got quotes from people outside the NFL headquarters who were rallying for Kaepernick to get a job. Unfortunately, it seemed ESPN only got quotes from people supporting him, and didn’t really show why, just maybe, there’s a reason Kaepernick shouldn’t be playing. And that is, he’s just NOT good.

Not only that, but they compared Kaepernick to a modern day Rosa Parks.

And it’s not just me thinking this if anyone was wondering. In a recent poll taken by Barrett Sports Media, of the 1,363 people polled, 60.8 percent of them think the network is left leaning. Only 3 percent think the show leans right.

And if anyone thought the leftward movement was just those two scenarios, well there are more. ESPN awarded Caitlyn Jenner the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at the 2015 ESPYS even though she has not competed in decades. Now, I’m not saying that is wrong, but the whole point of the ESPYS is to honor those who have competed, and Caitlyn Jenner hasn’t done that in years. She won because she decided she wanted to be a woman. That has nothing to do with sports.

All of this is creating issues inside ESPN, making those leaning right feel uncomfortable and almost left out. Many claim that the switch towards a more political view on the show is because athletes have gotten much more vocal about politics. And when athletes get political, it seems ESPN feels the need to agree with their crushes of Lebron James or Colin Kaepernick.

It really is unfortunate to me, that now I can not even sit down and watch an hour of sports highlights without being spewed political garbage. My once safe haven is now being destroyed by an organization that has decided to take politics into their own hands. Now, I don’t want ESPN to offend any individual but what was done to Robert Lee was wrong and inexcusable. They said they wanted to take away notice so people watching the game wouldn’t get mad, but they turned it into a world wide issue by pulling him off the game.

“MSESPN” should really think about returning to a style outside of politics, because they are losing followers, and let’s hope they don’t ruin another on of their employees chances to call a game, just because he has a similar name to a Confederate general. The liberal media has just gone too far.