Feature Friday: Senior Will Ebert tackles new football season

Grace Garlick

Having started his athletic career as a freshman, senior Will Ebert is in his fourth football season as an offensive lineman.

“I moved here freshman year and I wanted to make some friends so I did the football team’s summer camp,” Ebert said.

With the team in it’s prime of a new season, Ebert describes the team’s efforts in making sure it’s a great one.

“Most of time the practices are outside, we do a lot of drills, get some time to work on our specific positions, but the team always gives 100%,” Ebert said.

Opening last Friday’s game as a starting lineman, Ebert illustrates his mindset while on the field.

“I wanna win,” Ebert said. “Most of all, I have to make sure the quarterback doesn’t get hit by the other team and that I protect my teammates.”

The team had a triumphing victory over Zion-Benton winning 41-0, kicking off an impressive start to the season, but every game brings a new opponent and Ebert hopes to keep moving forward from this win.

“I don’t think about past games I just try to stay focused on the next one,” Ebert said.

Moreover, the team stays together on the field as well as off.

“We all hang out a lot together during the week and the weekends, we do homework together, but the best thing is we have pasta parties on Thursdays where the team comes together before every game,” Ebert said.

As a fourth year athlete, Ebert is looking forward to a fresh season and still relates how his experiences on the football team have impacted him throughout his high school career.

“This gives me a sense of responsibility in that I have to keep my grades up to be able to play,” Ebert said. “I have to be a leader to my teammates.”