Feature Friday: Chicago Bears player Sherrick McManis practices at Prospect

Bears cornerback Sherrick McManis talks with student journalists after practice.

•Katherine Wiemold

•Katherine Wiemold

Caroline Stiefbold

Instead of the usual practice at Halas Hall, the Chicago Bears traveled to Prospect High School’s George Gattas Memorial Stadium last Thursday for a practice.

For Bears cornerback Sherrick McManis, being back on high school turf was reminiscent of his days at Richwoods High School.

“It’s kind of like playing under the Friday Night Lights out here,” McManis said.

Even though playing in the NFL is a dream come true, McManis still finds high school football special.

“High school football is all fun. When you’re in high school, you just play free and have fun with the friends you grew up with,” McManis said.

McManis also offered advice to high school athletes.

“Stay focused. Surround yourself with great people in high school and life. There’s a lot of peer pressure so you just got to stay focused. The more people that are likeminded like you, the more chances you have of being successful,” McManis said.

While the event was focused around the fans, the practice time itself was still vital to the Bears upcoming season.

“We’ve been practicing a lot on ourselves and how we can do better, and we just want that to translate to the game,” McManis said.

Overall, he and his teammates enjoyed their time amongst fans at Prospect.

“I felt the love and support from everybody,” McManis said.