Feature Friday: Freshman Amelia Kitrys adjusts to high school

Freshman Amelia Kitrys (left) runs on the cross country team.  The team helped her adjust to high school.

Freshman Amelia Kitrys (left) runs on the cross country team. The team helped her adjust to high school.

Trent Sprague

Trent Sprague

Grace Garlick

With incoming class of 2021 comes new students, musicians, and athletes. Freshman Amelia Kitrys joined the cross country team, who helped introduce her to the student body and athletics programs.

“I joined Hersey Cross country and it’s a lot of fun. I met a junior who showed me around, introduced me to everyone, and made me feel so welcome,” Kitrys said.

In addition running at practices, Kitrys has connected with the team.

“We had a bonfire over the summer and it brought the team together and it made us feel like family,” Kitrys said.

In combination with Kitrys’ dedication to running, she is also adjusting to high school.

“Orientation was chaotic and navigating the halls to find my classes has been hard. The work given is pretty easy though, and the teachers have all been great,” Kitrys said.

With high school comes a new, more interesting schedule, and she is finding her new classes intriguing.

“I really like Human Geo because we get to have conversations and learn about current topics and events,” Kitrys said

Besides cross country and academics, Kitrys hopes to join more extracurriculars and make the most of her freshman year.

“I’ve heard about Hersey’s SOS, it seems like a lot of fun, and I’m hoping to join other sports later in the year,” Kitrys said.

Kitrys is excited for the upcoming cross country season and is looking forward in making her mark in Hersey.

“I’m excited to meet new people, and hopefully when I get through this year, I can say that I survived freshman year,” Kitrys said.