Yearbook, paper exchange names

The following article  was originally published in Volume 1, Issue 3 of The Correspondent.  It is being republished as a part of the “Golden Years” segment, celebrating 50 volumes of The Correspondent.

The Hersey yearbook will adopt the former name of Hersey’s newspaper The Endeavor. The newspaper is now The Correspondent. The names were switched because of student response to the naming of the yearbook. It was the feeling of many that The Correspondent was a better name for a newspaper, and the Endeavor for the yearbook. This is because the yearbook will be “the final endeavor of the year.”

The name, in the opinion of Mr. Richard Nelson, adviser to the newspaper, is appropriate when associated with John Hersey. Hersey was a news correspondent before becoming a novelist. Mr. Nelson says of the change, “Without knowing why, the names seem to sound best with their new publications.”

Mr. William Daletski, division head of the English and Fine Arts Department, had this to say: “I think The Correspondent is a more appropriate name for the newspaper, and The Endeavor should suit the yearbook though I still like ‘The Pebble’ or ‘The Bell’ for the book better.”

The name witch was approved by both newspaper and yearbook staffs last week.

Mr. Robert Berry, sponsor of the yearbook, has decided on the layout of the book. The beginning of The Endeavor will consist of the usual pictures, but these will be accompanied by a running commentary, including comments by the students.

The class pictures come next. The freshmen will be first, then the sophomores and juniors. The faculty pictures will follow, along with the clubs, organizations and sports photographs.

Student pictures for the yearbook will be taken Nov. 19 and 21 during physical education classes. Student identification cards will not be used in class panels.