Women of ‘The Bold Type’ prove inspirational in new series

Sutton (Meghann Fahy), Jane (Katie Stevens), and Kat (Aisha Dee) embrace in New York City's Grand Central Station, celebrating their friendship.  Freeform's new show

Sutton (Meghann Fahy), Jane (Katie Stevens), and Kat (Aisha Dee) embrace in New York City's Grand Central Station, celebrating their friendship. Freeform's new show "The Bold Type" follows the adventures of Sutton, Jane, and Kat as they work at Scarlet magazine.

•courtesy of Disney ABC

•courtesy of Disney ABC

Caroline Stiefbold

Three girls donning floor-length gala gowns and six-inch stilettos scream at a train passing through Grand Central Station. I was only sixty seconds into “The Bold Type”, and I knew I could not stop watching this show.

The new Freeform show, following the women of Scarlet, is based on my two favorite “isms”: journalism and feminism. I love the way journalism is incorporated into the show. A majority of the show takes place in the magazine headquarters, and meetings, stories, and other journalistic aspects are prominent throughout. Luckily, for those non-journalists out there, the journalism isn’t too overbearing.

The main characters Jane, Kat, and Sutton (and their queen, Jacqueline) each bring unique depth to the show. Honestly, I aspire to be just like the four of them. The characters are what make the show so intriguing. Each character’s personality brings something different, and together they make the show my obsession.

Jane. The writer. Her passion for journalism and her drive to be someone whose writing makes an impact inspire me as a writer. Her slight timidness at times also serves as a helpful reminder that even the best lack courage at times.

Jane’s character is honestly the perfect newbie writer. Katie Stevens’ portrayal of Jane seems effortless, as if she was destined for the part.

Kat. The social media director. Her confidence to always do what she feels is right and relentlessness in doing so empowers viewers to do the same.
She remains loyal to her true friends (new and old) no matter the circumstances. Her passion sometimes goes a little to far, as she is still quite naive.

The passion Aisha Dee embodies when playing Kat brings so much life to the show. She keeps viewers on their toes and has them anticipating Kat’s next move.

Sutton. The fashion-minded assistant. She is less open to her friends. Despite being the fashionista of the group, I find Kat’s and Jane’s wardrobes way more stylish. But, Sutton’s ambition to achieve her dreams despite any obstacles that come her way is extremely encouraging and serves as a huge reminder that ambition can lead to achieving dreams.

Of the three, I find Sutton’s personality slightly lacking. She doesn’t bring the same pizzaz to the show that Jane and Kat do. For a show called “The Bold Type,” her bold moments are few and far between. However, her bold moments are extremely bold, making up for her lack-luster performance at other times.

Jacqueline. The editor-in-chief. Her motherly love for the three young girls shows a softer side of a leader and gives a sense of emotion and reality to the show. She is the badass EIC I want to be. Anyone who ignores a call from Beyoncé to provide encouragement to a young woman is sincerely committed to the lives of their staff and deserves an award.

Jacqueline’s part is by far my favorite. She makes the show seem more realistic. It takes “The Bold Type” from a show about three “besties” to a show about a magazine staff (with three best friends) taking the world by storm.

The friendship between Jane, Kat, and Sutton is one of excitement. Champagne toasts in the fashion closet and stalking “unstalkable” exes are not all that their friendship consists of. These three women are each other’s support system. Through bad pitches, green juice runs, and even jail visits, these three remain there for one another. They push each other to do more. And although they still have moments of bickering, they are (I hate to say the phrase) “friendship goals.”

While some aspects of the show (making out in an elevator) may be a little cheesy, the plot keeps viewers engaged. The three girls’ lives all provide unique aspects and the three varying storylines help engage viewers.

At the end of the first episode, Jacqueline said “You don’t just work for Scarlet; you are Scarlet.” These words could not be truer in the way the women (and men) of Scarlet magazine lift each other up and help each other in every way.

“The Bold Type” is a show that will truly empower young women (writers or not).