Volleyball edges out Libertyville, spikes way to state

Katie Lindgren

The boys volleyball team is headed to state, which hasn’t happened for the boys program since 2005 when assistant coach Jodi Blazek was the head coach. The boys will play the two time reigning state champs Glenbard West today at 5 at Hoffman Estates High School. With Glenbard West’s all senior lineup, the Huskies will be challenged and need everything to click for them.

The team advanced to state after winning the Palatine sectional. The focus was on Libertyville for the sectional finals. The team had lost to them at the start of the season and were ready for revenge. The boys in another championship game came out slow and let the Wildcats take control of the first game. After the first game, the boys found some energy and took control of the next two games, which led them to win the match. In the second two games, many players stepped up and everything was clicking for them.

The boys had previously geared up for a rematch against Barrington in the semi-final. The team came out strong and never let go. Everything was working for the Huskies and they went to win the match in two games.

They geared up for their regional games with a strong focus on the postseason, defeating Wheeling and Warren to win the regional. In the regional championship, the team started off a little slower losing the first game of the match, but they got motivated and went on to win that match to make them regional champions.

“Our blocking game really came alive in the second and third set. We were able to get touches on every ball to help our back row out,” junior Joe Nugent said.

Before the postseason, the boys had already made a name for themselves in the MSL. Dominating every team in the East, the boys won the division and took on the West side opponent in the conference championship against Barrington. They came up short in this match because they were just out played. They started slow and weren’t able to gain any momentum to bring them close enough to win any matches.

“After our last game we knew we needed to step it up. Our front row and defence were just on point in that game,” junior Mike Senezcko said.

The team has been successful all season. They started off the season with a win of the St Charles East tournament. Their accomplishments continued when they went on to win their own tournament co-hosted by St Viator.

With the winning streak in effect for the boys right now, the hopes are looking high for the boys against Glenbard West. If they win today, the boys will advance to the semi-finals tomorrow and finish in at least the top four in the state.