The Wrestling Insider #38: Pete Dunne slowly becoming WWE’s breakout star

UK+Championship+Tournament+standout+Pete+Dunne+looks+to+have+a+fantastic+career+ahead+of+him+in+the+WWE.+His+arrogance+and+%22British+Strong+Style%22+provides+him+with+the+perfect+package+to+succeed.+
UK Championship Tournament standout Pete Dunne looks to have a fantastic career ahead of him in the WWE. His arrogance and

UK Championship Tournament standout Pete Dunne looks to have a fantastic career ahead of him in the WWE. His arrogance and "British Strong Style" provides him with the perfect package to succeed.

Courtesy of wwe.com

Courtesy of wwe.com

When most people are asked who was the MVP of the inaugural UK Championship Tournament, they’d say Tyler Bate. They’d say Tyler Bate because of the fact that he became the inaugural United Kingdom Champion at 19 years of age. However, I respectfully disagree. The asset of that whole tournament is known as the “Bruiserweight” Pete Dunne. Pete Dunne is arrogant, brash, and could care less about anyone but himself. I love it.

Now, I’ll admit: prior to this tournament, I had no clue who Pete Dunne was. I had heard of the name from UK-based promotion PROGRESS Wrestling, but otherwise I had no clue. What I witnessed while watching that tournament was a style of wrestling that intrigued me. Pete Dunne combines “British Strong Style” (a term used for stiff shots and brawling) and relentless assaults into one. His finisher, the “Bitter End” (a pumphandle lift transitioned into a reverse STO) is something that is unique and something I haven’t seen before.

What really had me interested in Pete Dunne, however, was his character. The character of a wrestler really determines whether or not they’ll succeed. Pete Dunne was the stand-out character to me. His mannerisms, maneuvers, and his look all scream “money” to me. He’s athletic, young, and he’s in a position to be the next breakout star that WWE needs.

There have been rumors going around that there will be a weekly UK show broadcasted on the WWE Network. When that happens, I really am going to root for Pete Dunne to be the second-ever United Kingdom Champion. Him and current champion Tyler Bate already have had a fantastic match in the finals of the tournament, and Dunne has beef with fellow UK wrestler Mark Andrews, who Dunne defeated on an episode of NXT.

There have also been rumors going around that Dunne is close to receiving a main roster call-up (as he has been working NXT events lately). If that does indeed happen, look for Dunne to quickly make an impact. He has everything necessary to be a big star.

The future looks bright for the man known as the “Bruiserweight.” It can only shine brighter once time goes by.