The Correspondent dominates sectionals

Katherine Wiemold

Last Saturday, The Correspondent returned victorious from the IHSA Journalism Sectional at Lincolnshire. 14 staff members competed in various categories; in the end, 12 of the staff members placed with three of them placing in two categories. Six of these staff members will be heading downstate this Friday to compete in the state competition. As a team, the newspaper staff won the Lincolnshire sectional with a total of 52 points; the second place team had a total of 43.

Junior Caroline Stiefbold achieved a first in The Correspondent’s history by placing first in of both her categories, Yearbook Theme Development (a duo event with junior Heidi Freitag) and Headline Writing. Stiefbold is anxious to get compete in the next round. “I’m nervous, but I’m also excited because we’ve really put a lot of work into this. It will be exciting to see how it all pays off,” Stiefbold said.

For the first time in his two years competing, junior Josh Irvine won first place in Review Writing.

Junior Lauren Theisen finished second in Info Graphics, despite experiencing printing problems.”After working for an hour and a half on something that I was pretty proud of, I was nervous when the printer didn’t print with shading. But the issue was resolved, and I was so happy that I placed, especially because it was so competitive!” Theisen said.

Her success wasn’t only due to her work, however. “I think that I have surrounded myself with the people I need in order to achieve!” Theisen said.

Perhaps the most proud of the students is their advisor Janet Barker Levin. “I knew this staff had potential to win Sectionals if we just put the effort in to practice for it. So, I decided to have tryouts like sports and required people to practice for it and get input from me before the meet. I was extremely happy on Saturday, not just because we won but because we did the work and we actually deserved to win,” Levin said.

Friday morning, Stiefbold, Freitag, Irvine, Theisen, and seniors Sneh Pandya (Photo Story Telling) and Zoe Strozewski (Feature Writing and Yearbook Caption Writing) will compete at the state competition at Eastern Illinois University.