This “nasty” feminist fears female futures

Zoe Strozewski

With the recent inauguration of Donald Trump, feminism has become one of the most important topics in modern society.

For many feminists, the new presidential administration is undoubtedly a loss and it’s easy to see why.

Trump is one of the most passionate anti-abortion advocates we’ve had as our president in this nation’s history. The pro-choice campaign seems hopeless compared to his promise to reverse the effects of Roe v. Wade.

I am not afraid to say that I am a feminist. In fact, being a part of this fight for equality is something I’m extremely proud of. However, I am very afraid of the changes the Trump administration might bring.

I am afraid for women who will have to sacrifice their educations or careers because they’re being forced to see accidental pregnancies through. I am afraid for the children who will end up in a cruel system just because their mothers had to give them up after being prevented from terminating a pregnancy they were not emotionally or fiscally prepared to be responsible for. We are in danger of losing access to essential reproductive health care services and education if Trump’s plans to direct funding away from Planned Parenthood succeed.

We need feminism now more than ever because the fight isn’t over. According to its city officials, more than 500,000 people participated in the Women’s March on Washington on January 21 to protest President Trump’s policies and unite in the fight for equality. This figure doesn’t even include the numbers present at other women’s marches that took place around the world that day. 100 years ago women couldn’t even vote or serve in the military and those causes must have seemed lost at one point. History is a reminder that when we fight for something for the right reasons, even those with the lowest odds of success can triumph.

I realize that compared to conditions in the Middle East and Africa, women in the United States have made more than substantial progress when it comes to obtaining rights. But as long as women are earning, according to the American Association of University Women, 80 cents to every dollar a man makes for the same job, we still have not reached true equality.

We will reach equality when women aren’t shamed for embracing their sexuality while men are applauded for it. We will be equal when, according to the National Sexual Violence Research Center, one in five women aren’t sexually assaulted in their lifetime and cases don’t go unreported because victims fear being called liars or actually blamed for their own rape because of what they had been wearing or drinking.

I’m a feminist because I want to live in a world where people aren’t okay with the leader of the free nation being someone who normalizes sexual assault and misogyny and everyone, regardless of gender, race, and sexual identity, is given the same opportunities.

The beauty of feminism is that it allows every girl or woman to have a powerful voice and define feminity for themselves whether that entails flowery dresses or sweatpants. Unfortunately, this particular culture has evolved into something extremely controversial in the past few years because of common misconceptions about the message behind feminism. Feminism in its purest form is the pursuit of tolerance and fairness between the sexes, not an attempt to prove that men are evil or women are superior.

Feminism will always be a tough slope to navigate but it has an uncompromisable place in the world today. Maybe the fact that it’s even controversial is the reason we need it so badly.