The Wrestling Insider #34: Goldberg’s Universal Championship win proves how out of touch the WWE is

The new Universal Champion Goldberg is set to face Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania 33, a match that already occurred at WrestleMania 20 and was flooded with boos.

Courtesy of wwe.com

Courtesy of wwe.com

After the Fast Lane pay per view on March 5th, I couldn’t believe what I saw. Kevin Owens, arguably in his prime, lost to a fifty year old man who can’t wrestle for more than two minutes without getting tired. Now, don’t get me wrong, Goldberg is a legend in the wrestling business and I have the upmost respect for him, but he should not be winning a world title in the year 2017.

Kevin Owens led the Raw brand through tough times. Many fans have been criticizing Raw for being “boring” and “unwatchable”, however I always thoroughly enjoyed the segments and matches that Kevin Owens had. The Universal Championship was brought onto Raw after they were missing a world title. While at first I was a little bit skeptical about the championship (I compared it to a Crayola crayon), the title was indeed meant for Kevin Owens. He raised the prestige of the championship and it gave a lasting legacy for the championship.

Now, however, that legacy is tarnished. As champion, Kevin Owens wouldn’t miss a week on Raw. He would always be there, in many different segments, and in action weekly. Goldberg, on the other hand, shows up whenever he feels like it and has a schedule that is even lighter than Brock Lesnar’s (don’t get me started on that situation). The fact that Goldberg now holds the Universal Championship makes me uneasy for the future of Raw. I always liked Raw for the fact that they would push young talents into the main event scene (Braun Strowman, Big Cass, Rusev, Kevin Owens, etc). Now Goldberg is destroying all that was good for Monday Night Raw. While I get that he is simply being a transitional champion, I still feel uneasy about the whole situation.

It seems so familiar to me… Oh wait! The same thing happened to CM Punk at the Royal Rumble in 2013. Punk carried the company on his back, defending the championship more times than the WWE Champion would normally do. But what ends up happening to CM Punk? The Rock comes in and pins him to become the WWE Champion. The Rock would then only have one successful title defense before dropping the championship to John Cena at WrestleMania 29. Punk got his rightful WrestleMania main event swept right out from under him, and Kevin Owens now feels the same way. While he does have unfinished business with Chris Jericho, that match should not be contested for Jericho’s United States Championship. Jericho should have dropped the title to Sami Zayn at Fast Lane. Owens should have defeated Goldberg, and Jericho/Owens, a feud brewing for months now, should be the official main event.

But this is the WWE we’re talking about. Despite the fans’ boos towards Roman Reigns, they still decide to put the title on him. Despite fans complaining about Brock Lesnar’s part-time schedule, they still decided to put the title on him. Despite fans hoping for John Cena VS The Undertaker, they give us Roman Reigns VS The Undertaker instead. The list goes on of missed opportunities.

Let’s just hope both Goldberg and Brock Lesnar don’t receive boos like they did at WrestleMania 20, which ironically was thirteen years ago today. But that, my friends, is a different story.