Salaries teach money management

Danielle Eriksson

High school jobs impel students to learn about money management; furthermore, most common jobs that high schoolers are eligible for yield salaries within $8.50-$12.00 an hour, providing working students with a fair deal of money that they must govern on their own.

For an average high school student, managing money earned from work is a new and challenging practice that necessitates responsible financing. Students may choose to store their money earned from work, or at least a portion of it, away into a savings or debit card account. This provides a secure and organized way of collecting money.

Moreover, students may choose to cash a certain amount of their paychecks for spending money. “I should probably start saving more but I typically cash my whole paycheck and spend it on stuff like gas, food, and coffee,” senior Caeley Jones said.

The majority of working students have the freedom to use some of their earned money on leisurely spending (with regulation). “It’s nice because sometimes I can buy things for other people or something special for myself,” senior Brenda Oommen said. Nonetheless, some students may struggle with making reasonable expenses. “When I’m driving to school just knowing that I have cash on me makes me wanna stop for Dunkin all the time,” Jones said.

While challenging students to be accountable, an income of money may also open their eyes to the importance smart spending. “My parents leave it up to me, so it’s completely my decision on how I spend the money I make. I try to be wise about how I spend my money so that I can feel secure. I know that if I do spend a lot of my paycheck I’ll end up being broke and have to anxiously wait for my next paycheck,” senior Andrew Hyndman said, “It’s teaching me how to be a spender yet save when I need to.”

In many cases parents may revise the way they provide for their employed child with the intention to treat them as a more independent individual. “Once I got a job I was cut off, I pretty much had to start paying for everything from gas to going out on the weekends, but I think it has made me a lot more responsible. They still have dinner on the table every night and give me lunch money occasionally but it’s mostly on me for anything extra,” Jones said.

While some students may feel that this parental treatment is unfair, it ultimately challenges them and serves as a learning experience.

“I’m always careful now – if I have cash from my tips I’ll use it easily but if I’m out with friends and one of them wants me to spot them I’m more uptight about it,” senior Matt Abfall said.

Because of experiencing employment in high school, students learn plenty about how their spending and saving can dictate their lives and their financial stability. “A job is nice now because I don’t have a lot of expenses but it’ll be harder when I’m older and my expenses become much bigger,” Oommen said.

As students make the transition into becoming independent adults, employment reveals what it takes to be self-reliant in the world 0f money. “I’m glad I get to experience this because it’s good to learn these money managing skills now before I’m out in the real world,” Hyndman said.