Girls basketball falls short in sectional championship

Katie Lindgren

The girls were up against Fremd for the sectional title. After previously beating Fremd in the MSL conference championship, the team had hopes for winning this game. They knew it would be a tough battle, and it proved to be.

The Huskies got into trouble quick when junior Erin McGrath got two fouls in the first half. Her sister, junior Katie McGrath was able to step in to play on Fremd’s 6′ 2″ senior Grace Tworek. The girls lock down defense, however, kept this game close as time went by. Seniors Carly Cooper and Weyhrich kept up the pressure on defense. They held on strong in the first quarter with a lead of 12-9 but couldn’t hold on and went into the half trailing 20-16.

After the half, Fremd put the pedal to the metal and ended the third quarter leading 39-23. The second half was when senior Claire Gritt also got herself into foul trouble. She ended up to fouling out of the game with less than 3 minutes left in the fourth quarter.

Junior Maesyn Benjamin also got a few minutes when both E. McGrath and Gritt were in foul trouble. Throughout the game, the girls kept getting great opportunities, but the shots weren’t falling in for them tonight. Senior Gina Miklasz made some good jumpers to the team, but it just wasn’t enough.

Fremd went on to win the game 49-30. All of the seniors got into this game. Seniors Carly Silva, Kendall Palmer, and Andrea Cannon got to play their final minutes as the game was the close of their season.

The girls have performed well this season and should look back on the season with positivity. They made great accomplishments, but their season was cut shorter than they hoped for. However, the girls represented the school well and played #HumbleandHungry the whole season.