“Shameless” continues to intrigue

Claire Durand

“Shameless” has been around for nearly six years, and still we see it rising to the top of leaderboards.
“Shameless” takes place in the projects of Chicago, featuring the Gallagher family: a very dysfunctional family of six with an alcoholic father and bipolar mother who spontaneously leaves for most of the children’s lives.
The majority of the show follows Fiona Gallagher (Emmy Rossum), the oldest of the six, who becomes the impromptu mother of the group and faces relationship, financial, and moral issues. Each episode commonly rides off of prior events but mostly brings new situations and circumstances to the family.
The show’s wild and intriguing plot keeps viewers attached, yearning to know what happens next. Although almost every character has a not-so-appealing aspect to them, the storyline and iconic duo Veronica (Shanola Hampton) and Kevin (Steve Howey) encourage more watching.
The plot in itself twists and turns at the most unexpected areas. When the family, for once, seems to be back to normal or doing fine, it lasts for only a second. This inconsistency surprisingly is what makes “Shameless” so popular and appealing.
“Shameless” is definitely a must see, and an easy to binge show. Premiering on January 9, 2011, and accumulating seven seasons so far, “Shameless” will continue to attract hundreds of people.