The Wrestling Insider #32: The Era of Wyatt begins

Bray Wyatt survived the odds last night, and walked out of the Talking Stick Resort Arena in Phoenix with the WWE Championship.

Courtesy of wwe.com

Courtesy of wwe.com

One day removed from the SmackDown exclusive pay-per-view event, Elimination Chamber, and the WWE Championship changed hands inside the ominous structure known as the Elimination Chamber. 24 feet tall, 10 tons of steel. Absolute carnage. Last night started what is known as the “Era of Wyatt”, as Bray Wyatt sought an opportunity and capitalized on it. After then-WWE Champion John Cena was eliminated courtesy of a Sister Abigail by Wyatt, it became down to AJ Styles and Wyatt himself.

Styles and Wyatt proved that their chemistry inside the squared circle is phenomenal, as it was a stiff game of one-upsmanship between the two. High risk maneuver by Styles, only to be countered by a devastating clothesline by Wyatt. When it wasn’t looking well for Bray Wyatt, he quickly hit his devastating Sister Abigail finishing maneuver and covered Styles to become the new WWE Championship.

I have seen many title changes, as they happen quite often. But for me, that championship victory meant more than just a new champion. For years I have been advocating for Bray Wyatt to become a main event talent. All those losses to John Cena, Undertaker, Chris Jericho, Kane, and Roman Reigns all led Wyatt to that moment. Raising up that WWE Championship shows that Wyatt is indeed the man on SmackDown Live.

What I find interesting is that Royal Rumble winner Randy Orton already made it known that he will be vying for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania. Bray Wyatt currently is in possession of the title, which means that Orton and Bray are bound to battle at the grandest stage of them all. Or are they? SmackDown general manager Daniel Bryan made it clear that there are still 7 weeks until WrestleMania. Plans can always change. Now that Orton and Bray are allies, it would take something to tick Randy Orton off to make him betray his leader.

That’s where Luke Harper comes in. Luke Harper is arguably the dark horse of SmackDown Live, and his connection with Bray Wyatt is seemingly inseparable. After Orton and Harper fought in an incredible bout last night, it seems like Harper will finally get his chance to be a successful singles star on the blue brand. But will Harper ease his way into the WWE Championship picture at WrestleMania? Debatable.

What I do know, though, is that tomorrow’s SmackDown Live is going to be very interesting. It’ll be a breath of fresh air to see Bray Wyatt finally carry gold once again. It will also be very intriguing to see what Randy Orton has to say about Bray’s big victory.

Regardless of what happens tomorrow night, we’re indeed living in the “Era of Wyatt”. Drink it in, man.