Mental health would improve with school beauty

Zoe Strozewski

Without sugarcoating it, John Hersey High School looks like a dungeon. There are hardly any windows and the only colors I see throughout the day are brown, beige, and white. I legitimately feel like I’m coming out of a coma whenever I walk outside after the end of school.

This dull school environment combined with stressful academic demands creates a situation that can easily lead to student anxiety and depression.

According to a study published in the American Family Physician, up to 15 percent of children and adolescents show symptoms of depression, and academic stress is one of the main causes of adolescent depression. Schools are supposed to challenge students academically and nurture their minds, not push them to the point of almost having a mental breakdown.

I believe that with some physical renovations the school could become a much happier place. These renovations can include anything from a paint job to installing new windows. Obviously the school doesn’t have unlimited funds, but maybe they could consider exchanging the next parking lot renovation for a school beautification project.

I don’t mean to say that this is a bad school. Academically, we are one of the best in the nation. However, physically, we could use some work. The school has already gotten a therapy dog to help our collective mental health, so I think it would be reasonable to ask for a fresh coat of paint.