Tea Time: The year in conversation

Jamie Anderluh, Sneh Pandya, and Lexi Wachal

Jamie: Most of us would agree that 2016 was rougher than usual. I tend to approach each year with an early sense of optimism, and I am, quite genuinely, an optimistic person. But I’m choosing to believe that 2016 was spiritually misguided.

Lexi: I personally am the kind of person who believes in “planets aligning”, and to be honest, I take my horoscope VERY seriously. The universe was completely out of whack this year, and we can’t blame it 100 percent on Mercury being in retrograde. 2016 was partially so awful because we as a society allowed it to be. Instead of banding together to solve problems, we allowed ourselves to be severed even more.

Sneh: The negative nature of 2016 and its events are simply coincidental. There is absolutely zero scientific evidence to prove that astrology and the nature of horoscopes have any effect on the ongoings of our lives. And although it may seem harsh, the overall negative concept of 2016 is individualistic. If someone is involved in pop culture, then yes, the plethora of celebrity deaths in 2016 justify it to be devastating. If that isn’t of concern to someone, then 2016 was comparable to any other year. And this trend may continue or may not because, after all, years are man made divisions of time.

There was a new brand of division this year. Prejudice became lifestyle for many Americans. A political agenda manifested into two distinctive ways of life, one fastened to an idealistic portrayal of what was and the other consumed by a romantic notion of progress. I’ll confess that I became deeply caught up in the latter, only to discover that there wasn’t much progress to be found.

I agree; I personally felt myself being pulled, desperate to get away from the prejudiced and misogynistic ideals of one party, but wary of the so-called proguess pushed by the other. This year, this needs to change. No matter our beliefs, our lifestyles, our choices, we need to come together. This may seem impossible now, considering the state we’re in, but it’s possible. 2017 can be the year we come together.

I agree. The politics that saturated our news in virtually all of 2016 were animalistic in nature. Arguments were made on the basis of proving oneself better, rather than proving what one can do for society. However, I think our perception of just how negative this election was (compared to others) was amplified by the fact that this may be only the second or third election people at our age could remember and that our current president is virtually liked by most people, regardless of party. It takes someone much older to rank the raunchiness of this election and reaffirm what we think is to be one of the worst so far.

Of course, I tend to hesitate when considering New Year’s Resolutions; they’re often overflowing with self-judgement and ridicule. But instead of being judgemental, we can act consciously to be more ourselves in 2017. We can be less of a stereotype, that of pure correspondence to a political ideology. Disliking ourselves and disliking the ideologies, identities, or expressions of those around us, is not the way to approach the year. Let’s be genuine humans, rather than fabrications of criticism.

To to be honest, I’m much more into the “instant gratification” of starting a change in my life right away. This is the same reason why I came to school with purple, blue and green hair in seventh grade, and the same reason people come to me when they make impulsive descions. Sure, sometimes it’s okay to wait for a “fresh start” of the new year, but why not start now! Learn a new language, stop drinking soda, join a gym, and we can do what we want with our lives.

New Year’s Resolutions are effective, I shall admit. I know many people who stuck to their resolutions and achieved the results they strived for. However, waiting to take action until the start of the new year shows laziness, not dedication. If someone is truly vested in changing some aspect of themselves or their body, he or she would find it most beneficial to act at that moment, not wait until January of the next year.