The Correspondent Live - The student news site of John Hersey High School

Filed under Did you know?, News

Supermoon sparks interest

Around 7:30. p.m on September 28th Twitter started to blow up with excitement over the color and size of the moon. During this time, a supermoon (full moon) total lunar eclipse was starting. Observers were especially anxious to get a glimpse of the moon since the last time a total lunar eclipse has happened was in 1982 and the next time it will happen again will be in 2033.

The event was visible for observers in North and South America and lasted 72 minutes.

A total lunar eclipse is when the sun, the earth, and the moon all line up perfectly. The Earth blocks any direct sunlight from reaching the Moon and the Sun is behind the Earth, so the Sun’s light casts the Earth’s shadow on the Moon. This shadow covers the entire Moon. According to usatoday.com, “Because a lot of light scatters off the Earth’s atmosphere, the moon will not look completely dark but have a coppery red color — hence the blood moon moniker.”

While viewers were dazzled by the reddish color of the moon, they also witnessed seeing it slightly larger than usual. The moon was larger to viewers’ eyes by about 7%, which was the biggest full moon of 2015. This is because it was at perigee (the closest point of its orbit with Earth), which is called a “supermoon.”

On the night of the 28th almost every news channel and social media was featuring the “Super blood moon.” There was a viewing party held at the Addler planetarium in Chicago, but to catch the occurrence most people just walked outside and looked up.

“I found it pretty unique that a lunar eclipse and a “supermoon” could happen on the same night. I checked out my window occasionally to see the redness of the moon and then the brightness of it after the eclipse was over,” junior Tyler Haffey said.