The Correspondent Live - The student news site of John Hersey High School

The Wrestling Insider #40: Gran Metalik should be next challenger for Cruiserweight Championship

Gran Metalik has been wasted away after the resurgence of the Cruiserweight division in WWE. He should be the one to dethrone Neville for the championship.

Courtesy of wwe.com

Courtesy of wwe.com

After the resurgence of the Cruiserweight division in WWE, the roster has increased greatly. It has gotten so big that the Cruiserweight division has its own show, known as 205 Live. Neville has been running the division as of late, and has been able to withstand challengers such as Jack Gallagher, TJ Perkins, Rich Swann, and Austin Aries. However, the one competitor that has been lost in the fray has been Gran Metalik.

Gran Metalik made his WWE debut as part of the inaugural Cruiserweight Classic (of which was won by TJ Perkins). Gran Metalik ended up making it to the finals of that tournament. Despite an appearance on Raw for the resurgence of the division and a couple sporadic appearances on 205 Live and Main Event, Metalik has been nowhere to be seen.

Metalik brings something to the table that other Cruiserweights do not. Metalik is very agile, and uses high flying maneuvers combined with impressive strength. He is too talented to simply be wasted away. When WWE was looking for the next Rey Mysterio, there was no doubt in my mind that Gran Metalik could fulfill that role. He has years of training under his belt on the independent circuit, and his merchandise would sell if they made a replica mask of his.

Neville is in need of a new challenger desperately. Although there are rumors that he is going to defend his championship against Austin Aries and TJ Perkins at the upcoming Raw pay-per-view known as Extreme Rules, Metalik should start getting wins under his belt and earn his opportunity at the championship.

As much as I’m an advocate for the Cruiserweights, I’m getting tired of seeing Austin Aries face off against TJ Perkins or Jack Gallagher face off against Neville. I’m ready for a fresh, new face to step up and dethrone the “King of the Cruiserweights”. Gran Metalik can provide just that.

He already has picked up wins against Zack Sabre Jr, legendary Cruiserweight Tajiri, Akira Tozawa, and Drew Gulak. The amount of talent in that one sentence is too much to bear. Not only would Metalik appeal to the hispanic audience, but him as Cruiserweight Champion would be great marketing-wise for Mexico.

Neville better watch out, because Gran Metalik can hit that Metalik Driver on him and pin him to the canvas for the one, two, three.