The Correspondent Live - The student news site of John Hersey High School

The Wrestling Insider #37: Return of Hardy Boyz brings tag team revitalization to Raw

Matt and Jeff Hardy's return to the WWE sparks new dream matches and revitalizes the previously dead tag team division on Raw.

Courtesy of wwe.com

Courtesy of wwe.com

WrestleMania 33 was a monumental night in its own right. Undertaker seemingly retired, John Cena finally proposed to Nikki Bella, Kevin Owens won the United States Championship, and NXT star Killian Dain had a great showing in the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal.

We’re a couple weeks out of that event, and fans are still talking about the return of Matt and Jeff Hardy, the Hardy Boyz. After contractual disputes between the two and Impact Wrestling fell through, rumors have been running rampant that fans might be seeing the iconic tag team in the WWE once again. Those rumors became true, as Matt and Jeff made their return as surprise entrants in the ladder match for the Raw Tag Titles (also involving Cesaro and Sheamus, Enzo Amore and Big Cass, and then-champions Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson). The Hardy Boyz then went on to win that match and win the Raw Tag Team Championships.

The Raw tag team division needed that star power, since random teams such as Jinder Mahal and Rusev were at the top of a washed up division. Both Matt and Jeff have incredible chemistry together as a team. They’ve been running the tag division regardless of where they go since their debut in the late 90s. This current run provides a line to be drawn for the Raw tag division. The Hardyz are at the top of the food chain, and teams need to step up.

Not only does this improve the quality of tag team wrestling, but it provides more television time for the tag teams. When Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson were tag champions, they didn’t really get a focal part of the weekly show. I remember they lost to Roman Reigns for a couple of weeks in a 2-on-1 handicap match. That’s how disappointing their reign was.

Thankfully, Matt and Jeff Hardy changed the entire ball game. When Jeff Hardy left the WWE in 2009, his final words were, “This is not a goodbye. This is more like a see you later.” Those words became evident, since now the “Charismatic Enigma” is back and better than ever.

In interviews conducted prior to their return, Jeff Hardy was asked if he had any dream opponents if he did return to WWE. He name-dropped some incredible talent, such as Seth Rollins. However, a name that brought to my attention was Cesaro. Jeff Hardy and Cesaro ended up having a great one-on-one match a couple of weeks ago on Raw. That match showcased just why Jeff Hardy is an asset to both the tag team division and the singles division. The Hardy Boyz are that experienced that they can adapt to both singles and tag team styles of wrestling.

Matt Hardy is already over with the fans with his “Broken” gimmick (although there is an ongoing legal battle between the WWE and Impact Wrestling to allow Matt to use the gimmick in WWE–that’s a story of its own right), and Jeff Hardy’s presence has fans going crazy.

Matt and Jeff Hardy are scheduled to defend their Raw Tag Team Championships this Sunday at Payback against Cesaro and Sheamus. There is no doubt in my mind that their match will be great and The Hardy Boyz will prove that they can work just as hard as those superstars younger than them.