The Correspondent Live - The student news site of John Hersey High School

The Wrestling Insider #36: Jinder Mahal title push start of something fresh for ‘blue’ brand

Jinder Mahal is scheduled to do battle with current WWE Champion Randy Orton at BackLash on May 21st. It will be Jinder Mahal's first WWE Championship opportunity in his career.

Courtesy of wwe.com

Courtesy of wwe.com

After winning a number one contender’s match a couple of weeks ago on SmackDown Live, Jinder Mahal earned shot a at the most coveted prize in WWE, the WWE Championship. While many fans have been criticizing this decision, since already established stars like Dolph Ziggler and Sami Zayn were in the same match, I think this is the start of something fresh for SmackDown Live.

SmackDown Live was in desperate need of new heels, considering Rusev is still injured and Baron Corbin is not ready for the WWE Championship just yet. Jinder Mahal provides that. I’m not going to lie either–I was a bit let down with this decision myself. Looking back at it, however, I think it was the right move.

Mahal’s push to the main event picture started at WrestleMania this past April, as he and Mojo Rawley were the final two competitors in the annual Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal. From there on, Mahal would get more television time than he would normally. The “Superstar Shakeup” sent Mahal packing from Raw to SmackDown Live, and now he is vying for the WWE Championship at BackLash.

Mahal’s new gimmick, an anti-American shaming fans for booing him, is something that has been done many times (Muhammad Hassan, Daivari, The Great Khali, and even Mustafa Ali) but it is getting him over as a heel. In India, Mahal is looked at as a hero. The logical reason why Mahal is getting this push is because WWE wants to build their reputation in India. Jinder can do just that. Paired up with the former “Bollywood Boyz” (now known as simply the Singh Brothers), Jinder Mahal is looking like a serious threat to Randy Orton’s WWE Championship.

Don’t believe me? Check out the latest episode of SmackDown Live. Mahal laid Randy Orton out and stole his WWE Championship in the process. This is something that hasn’t been done in a while, and it provides a fresh storyline for Orton.

While Randy Orton is focused on Bray Wyatt and the House of Horrors match he will embark in this Sunday, I’d have to infer that Jinder Mahal is looming in the back of Orton’s head.

It has been a long road for Jinder Mahal, as his past run saw him apart of 3MB, a group of wrestlers who hardly won any matches and were seen as comedic. I would have never thought that someone like Jinder Mahal would be vying for a title that greats like John Cena, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, The Rock, and Mick Foley held, but the way WWE has been booking Mahal proves otherwise.

He has a good physique and he’s improving on the mic. Mahal typically wouldn’t be considered much of a talker, but his promo this past week on SmackDown Live effectively shows that he is improving. Promos are crucial for a wrestler’s new gimmick, as it allows the fans to understand just how aggressive the character is based on their tone of voice in the promo.

There is a good chance that he can walk out of the Allstate Arena on May 21st as WWE Champion, since Rusev apparently is demanding a title match at Money in the Bank (the pay-per-view after BackLash), and him and Mahal have unfinished business with each other from Raw. Rusev and Jinder Mahal were a short-lived tag team which came to them splitting up at the Fastlane pay-per-view.

How Jinder Mahal will built up heading into BackLash is a good question, but what I do know is that now nobody can hinder Jinder.