The Correspondent Live - The student news site of John Hersey High School

The Wrestling Insider #33: Break-up of “JeriKO” should lead to Universal Championship match at WrestleMania

The friendship between

The friendship between "JeriKO" abruptly ended this past Monday, as Kevin Owens brutally assaulted former best friend Chris Jericho and drove him through a TV monitor.

Courtesy of wwe.com

Courtesy of wwe.com

Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens: the best of friends. Match after match, Owens would receive help by his best friend Chris Jericho to remain Universal Champion. Chris Jericho became United States Champion due to Owens’s help. However, this past Monday on Raw, the friendship between the two became to an abrupt ending.

During the “Festival of Friendship” that took place on Raw, Jericho presented Owens with a gift. A strange looking trophy to symbolize the bond between these two friends had Owens confused and disturbed. Owens would rebuttal with a gift of his own: a new clipboard for Jericho for him to put people on the “list”.

Additionally, what Jericho didn’t realize is that the list was actually titled the “List of KO” and Chris Jericho himself was on the “list”. The perfect facial expressions by Jericho captured the emotion and importance of that moment. Chris Jericho looked up at Owens with shock, as Owens laid out Jericho with a brutal punch. Owens continued the assault with a powerbomb on the apron and by putting his ex-best friend through the TV monitor. A good moment that reminded me of when Chris Jericho did the very same thing to Shawn Michaels in 2008.

With that abrupt break-up should come a Universal Championship match. Owens still is in possession of the Universal Championship. Although he is slated to face Goldberg for the title at Fast Lane on March 5th, Owens needs to walk into WrestleMania with his championship. It would be a shame to have Raw’s world title be contested with two part timers than arguably the two wrestlers who have carried Raw through its darkest times.

Not only would that be one great match, but it would escalate Owens into a true main event star if he defeated Chris Jericho, an already established veteran, clean at WrestleMania. Jericho is already over with the crowd and they give him a loud reception every time his music plays. Owens is the perfect heel, given the right booking. In NXT, he was booked as a dominant and ruthless heel who could care less about anyone but himself. On Raw, however, he began receiving booking that would make him look weaker and he would lose to Roman Reigns cleanly on frequent occasions.

Now is the time to initiate this Universal Championship feud. Owens and Jericho deserve it, at the very least, for carrying Raw and making it watchable. Owens getting that rub allows him to lead into a feud with a returning Finn Bálor perhaps, or a big feud with Brock Lesnar.

Thanks for reading everyone. Have a good night.