The Correspondent Live - The student news site of John Hersey High School

Trump tweets up a storm

Screenshot from Twitter

Screenshot from Twitter

Patryk Kot

With so little of the media having a positive opinion on the president-elect, Donald Trump, the newly appointed executive leader of our country has continued to use social media as his platform to not only defend himself from criticism, but to continually voice his opinion on public figures.

Just recently, Meryl Streep was presented with the Cecil B. Demille, an award from the Hollywood Foreign Press given to an actor for his or her phenomenal work in entertainment. However, instead of using her speech to thank everyone for her success, she took the opportunity to take a swing at our president elect. Referring back to one of Trump’s campaign speeches, Streep was horrified by Trump’s impersonation of a disabled reporter and stated, “when the powerful use their position to bully others, we all lose.” Immediately after discovering that he had been bashed on national television, Trump tweeted, “Meryl Streep, one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood, doesn’t know me but attacked last night at the Golden Globes.”

Twitter reacted with outrage. Comments began pouring in by the thousands as people found Trump’s tweet childish and completely untrue, since it is obvious that Streep has won countless awards for her work.  “It really shows how loony he is. The fact that anytime he gets insulted, which happens to every president, he can’t take the insult with a spoon of sugar. He has to go and attack,” senior Maddie Chaudron said.

Unfortunately, the impulsive tweeting does not stop there. The last episode of Saturday Night Live saw the first parody with Trump being our president. The sketch was unflattering for the president-elect, but that is what the show aims to do: be memorable and make its audience laugh. The sketch was loved by viewers, garnering thousands of hits on “YouTube” and spreading across social media.

However, he did not laugh. Trump tweeted, “@NBCNews is bad but Saturday Night Live is the worst of NBC. Not funny, cast is terrible, always a complete hit job. Really bad television!”

Moreover, on January 11, when the scandal with Russia was still on the rise, he turned to Twitter to defend himself. Trump tweeted, “Russia has never tried to use leverage over me. I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH RUSSIA- NO DEALS, NO LOANS, NO NOTHING!” Senior Chaudron said, “His defense mechanism really scares me because he will be in charge of some of the most powerful weapons in the world. Imagine what he could do if the wrong person upsets him.”

Not to mention, it is proven that when Trump has tweeted anything about a certain company such as Toyota, the stock of the company took a dive. “Trigger,” an app that scans the stock market, has even created an alert for when Trump tweets about a company a holder is invested in.

Senior Mary Clare O’Shea said, “He might not be as good for the economy as everyone thought he would be.”

Using Twitter as his platform has only seemed to hurt the future president, as his approval ratings have dipped to a historic low. He is yet to enter the Oval Office, yet already his twitter rampages have been nothing short of worrisome and students fear for what the future government has in store.

Freshman Himani Hizkeel said, “He’s going to get criticized. But that’s not how you respond. He shouldn’t get so scared. And if there really is an issue he should address it not just tweet about it. The tweets will backfire eventually.”