The Correspondent Live - The student news site of John Hersey High School

Social media creates little productivity

Kelly McCarthy

Our generation truly is the generation of social media, of using the Internet to share everything in our lives–from the small day-to-day occurrences to the big life-changing updates. Most teens utilize multiple social media platforms, including Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Between all of these platforms, it’s incredibly easy for teens to never run out of new content that their “friends’ or followers are sharing to browse through.

According to Pew Research Center, 71% of teens use more than one social media platform, and 88% of teens have cell phones that they can use to access these platforms throughout the day, no matter where they’re at.

Combine the never-ending stream of new posts with our generation’s severe FOMO (fear of missing out), and the result is a bunch of teens doing nothing but staring at their phone screens for extended amounts of time, when they should be or could be doing something else. Most of us find it easy to instantly distract ourselves with the scroll of our thumbs on our phone screens. Pew Research Center also found that 24% of teens admit to being online “constantly.”

Not only does this habit waste time, but it also interrupts and inhibits productivity.Constantly pausing to take an unnecessary break to browse through social media interrupts concentration, and then it takes students longer to refocus themselves than it would’ve taken if they just worked straight through their homework.

While social media can have great uses and incredible power, students should also realize that living in the now is valuable too. The only way we can cure the FOMO that plagues our social media feeds is by actually going out and living and doing, not by sitting in our houses staring at our phone screens and wishing we were doing something else.

As finals approach, and most students are gearing up to do some of their most intense studying of the year, they should consider putting away the cell phones and social media and see how much more productive they can be. Students can (and should) still designate specific times to take a break from the studying to eat a snack, watch TV, and/or check social media.