The Correspondent Live - The student news site of John Hersey High School

The Wrestling Insider #31: Cruiserweight Showcase 3- Neville

Neville's recent change of attitude has rapidly shaped him as a top Cruiserweight in the division.

Courtesy of wwe.com

Courtesy of wwe.com

Hey everyone. Today’s Cruiserweight Showcase highlights the “Man That Gravity Forgot”, Neville.

Neville has been on a roll in the Cruiserweight division, after turning heel at Roadblock: End of the Line. Ever since he attacked Cruiserweight Champion Rich Swann and TJ Perkins, his popularity has increased. Before turning heel, Neville wasn’t prominently featured on television. There wasn’t really a spot for Neville on Raw, considering he was lost in the fray. Many of fans expected Neville to be in the Cruiserweight division, but he wasn’t announced to participate in it until his unexpected heel turn.

Now that Neville is the top heel Cruiserweight, he is getting a significant amount of television time, and his wrestling ability has been brought to its peak. Neville now has a stiffer style, focusing on brutal kicks and power-based maneuvers rather than the flippy, highflying babyface he once was. Neville has embarked on a mission to become the “King of the Cruiserweights”, and it looks like he is doing just that. Neville brutalized Rich Swann on the December 27th, 2016 episode of 205 Live and pinned him clean in the center of the ring. Now Neville will receive a chance at the Cruiserweight Championship at the Royal Rumble pay-per-view, and there is no doubt in my mind that he will win his first main roster championship.

Not only has Neville’s wrestling ability improved, but his mic skills have significantly improved with his heel turn. Neville used to never get time to explain his character on the microphone, but now it’s clear exactly who he is and what he wants to do. Neville’s viciousness shows off by the tone in his voice, and he excels in getting the crowd to despise him. When he did attack Rich Swann after the match on the December 27th episode of 205 Live, the crowd was simply silence as they watched Neville walk away with a disturbed smile on his face.

While Neville once received a huge ovation with his former finisher, the Red Arrow, Neville now finishes opponents off with a version of the “Rings of Saturn” (Perry Saturn’s former finisher), a scissored armbar that stretches opponents out in an awkward position.

Neville is going to absolutely dominate when he does win the Cruiserweight Championship, and there is no doubt in my mind that it will happen very soon.

Thanks for reading everyone. Stay tuned for tomorrow’s Cruiserweight Showcase.